Diving close to Miami?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpslim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Heading to Miami this month for long weekend. Any dives worth doing that are not too too far a dive? Experienced divers. Thanks!

Where in Miami, closer to the Keys or to Broward or ?

south beach, but willing to drive.

south beach, but willing to drive.

There's an excellent operator right on South Beach called RJ Diving. Here is their schedule for the month:

November 13th, Friday @ 1:00 PM......The Cascades drift (50-80) and a reef (30')
November 14th, Saturday @ 8:30 AM...... The Neptune Memorial reef (40') and a reef (30')
November 14th, Saturday @ 1:00 PM....2 reefs (30')
November 15th, Sunday @ 8:30 AM..... The Patricia (55') and the Tanks (45')
November 15th, Sunday @ 1:00 PM......The Belcher Barge (60') and a reef (30')
November 18th, Wednesday @ 1:00 PM....2 reefs (30') ***
November 18th, Wednesday @ 6:00 PM.....The DEMA trader (80') and the pipes (45')
November 19th, Thursday @ 1:00 PM.....2 reefs (30') ***
November 20th, Friday @ 9:00 AM......Private Charter PT
November 20th, Friday @ 1:00 PM.....The Patricia (55') and the Tanks (45')
November 21st, Saturday @ 8:30 AM......The Orion (100') and the Belcher Barge (60')
November 21st, Saturday @ 1:00 PM.....2 reefs (30')
November 22nd, Sunday @ 8:30 AM......the Biscayne (60') and a reef (30')
November 22nd, Sunday @ 1:00 PM...... The Neptune Memorial reef (40') and a reef (30') CHANGE
November 25th, Wednesday @ 1:00 PM.....2 reefs (30')
November 25th, Wednesday @ 6:00 PM.....The Tacoma (135') and a reef (30') NIGHT
November 26-27 CLOSED FOR THANKSGIVING!
November 28th, Saturday @ 8:30 AM.....2 reefs (30')
November 28th, Saturday @ 1:00 PM.....The Belzona Barge (30') and a reef (30')
November 29th, Sunday @ 8:30 AM..... The Belcher Barge (60') and a reef (30')
November 29th, Sunday @ 1:00 PM...... The Patricia (55') and the Tanks (45')

R.J. is great and I think pretty much the only charter in your area.

It is worth a drive to the Keys, there are MANY excellent operators there. The closest ones are Capt. Slate's Atlantis Dive Center and Silent World. A great thing is that they are oceanside AND they don't have to go through Largo Sound to get to the reef. Two great casual restaurants nearby for lunch. Slate has an incredible critter feed called the Creature Feature on Fridays and Sundays that is a don't miss! Either op can take you to the Keys awesome wrecks and reefs. I've dived with both ops and I prefer Atlantis. I haven't confirmed yet but I think I'm diving with Slate on the Friday after Thanksgiving to do the critter feed.

If you don't mind coming to Broward, my very favorite local charter is Capt. Bill Cole's Sea Experience II. I dive with him every Friday that I can (I'm off Fridays and Sundays), join me if you can. Another local favorite is American Dream. Both boats are easily accessible from your area if you take I-95 up to S.R. 84.

Don't forget that we have an avid contingent of beach divers in Broward. I hear that beach diving in Miami isn't good and it's nonexistent in the Keys. Keep an eye on trips and marketplace.

great info, thanks! I'll check it out, much appreciated.

Sorry about that. I'll tell Becky to fix it.

51 Garden Cove Drive. Google map. TRULY the closest dive shop to the mainland. Silent World's boats are next door, but you need to drive further south to get to their shop. Diving the closest boat to the mainland means much less time in upper Keys traffic both ways. And, there are two good casual restaurants nearby (one is walking distance, the other a block away).

What weekend are you planning to be here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom