You know you're an old timer when

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't know if anyone has done this before..

1) You not only know what horse shoe is but used one. (and have the old Co2 Cartridges to prove it)

2) Sell your old dive gear on eBay and get top $$$ for it by collectors.

3) Miss your old beavertail 2 piece.

4) Still refer to your tanks as Super 80s

5) Know what a J valve is. (and still have tank w/ one)

6) Spent $125 to get your certification and even then thought that was way too expensive.

7) Used to remember when you could scuba for abalone.

You know who's not an old timer because they call a horse collar a horse shoe.

Sell my old gear? Never!

I still use my beaver tail.

Super 80's aren't old.

I have 3 j valves in use, one with a wing nut on off knob.

$125? Dive shops sell 'em for $99 now, not that I want a loved one to take one of those classes.

I've never dived where abalone live.

Rental gear for an old timer? Rental gear today will have a minimum of 4 hoses (3 with an Air II).

Walter once bubbled...

$125? Dive shops sell 'em for $99 now, not that I want a loved one to take one of those classes.

[/B]

I spent $225 on OW course mine back in 1988, had to pay for some of my rental gear (suit, extra weights, extra tank). Now the new divers nowadays only have to pay $200-$250 and don't need to pay for any of their rental stuff.

Does the $99 include rentals? That's the deal of the century!!!!!

That first certification from New Englandand Divers, in Beverly Mass, didn't require check out dives, only 4 pool sessions...

OW cost me $325. The instructor said that others may charge a lot less, but they charge extra if you need to rent equipment. The rental cost for BC, Reg, Weight Belt, and Tank would be $60 per day. Which means the course itself was $85. However, the instructor gets $325 whether you use your own equipment or not, so he isn't too bad off with 5 students.

The rubber hoses on your ABLJ have perished and the LDS laughs when you ask him to service your nearly new regulator.

what's a horse collar?

Didn't use my first BCD until 1989- it was required by the Cousteau team I dove with and it failed so I just unhooked it.

Dive for abs? Heck we could pluck them off the rocks at low tide (and I'm not talking about blacks).

Am I showing my Old Timers yet?

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom