Seasickness!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SarahOP

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I love diving, but I don't love how sick I get. Within a few minutes on a boat I want to throw up. And then after a few more, I do. :depressed:

Last time I ended up buying this over the counter medicine that did not work too well. I did some research but there are tons of different medicines and treatments. I don't know which to go with. I've seen bands/bracelets online and someone told me about a patch you can wear.

I'm going back to Mexico in a couple weeks. Anyone have advice on what might work? Any miracle pills? Or a good morning routine that gets you ready?

ANY suggestions are appreciated. :D

Sarahm I have found if I take dramamine (or bonine) the night before when I go to bed, again when I wake up, and again when I'm getting onto the boat, I experience no seasickness at all.
Without the night-time dose I will feel ill, but not actually get sick.
Do you take it the night before too? If not, start trying it. You can take something like 12 tablets in 24 hours by the box instructions.

tell your dr. to give u a script for scopomine, put it behind each ear 1day before trip, it last 3days each ear that will help a lot. Also get ginger snap cookies to help, or plain ginger from the health food store, let me know

Oh, and just because it works for one person, may not mean it works for you, every person's body is different. Some people get tired on dramamine so take bonine instead, I prefer the dramamine because the bonine is chewable and I don't like chewable drugs. They both worked OK for me, I actually used both last time, dramamine at night then bonine in the morning, and it was one heck of a boat ride!

sara do you really want to take 12 tablets? I mean isn't that a little bit to much?? compared toa patch behind your ear? you do the math, and the punishement on your body.

I'm not saying that ginger pills are the answer to seasickness, but this thread had a lot of good info on the topic of how to deal with/prevent seasickness.

Whatever cure/med that you decide on trying, make sure that you try it on a non-diving day first. Over-the-counter and prescription meds can affect people differently. They may have side effects (drowsiness, in particular) which can be dangerous when mixed with diving.

Scopolamine has side effects.
Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) has side effects.
Meclizine (Bonine) has side effects.

The placebo effect is real.

I hate to break it to ya, but there is no "miracle pill" that cures seasickness. :)

Have fun and dive safe...

Hi Sarah,

I always take one the night before and then one in the morning before the dive. It seems to work best for me if I have it in my system well before I dive. I also tested the brand and amounts needed to keep me from getting seasick.

I ended up using Bonine. Dramamine has 50 mg of dimenhydrinate vs Bonine Meclizine HCl 25 mg. I found that Bonine didn't give me cotton mouth as bad as dramamine. Of course this is a personal observation.

If the seas are as bad when dove with Ben last time, you will need it. And thanks one more time for the Dramamine.

sara do you really want to take 12 tablets? I mean isn't that a little bit to much?? compared toa patch behind your ear? you do the math, and the punishement on your body.

Hopefully pacificgal meant 1 to 2 tablets a day. 12 would be a bit of an overdose.

Dramamine directions say:

Adults and Children 12 years and over:
1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours, not to exceed 8 tablets in 24 hours or as directed by a doctor.

I use the patch (you need a prescription from your doc) when I go on a boat. Works pretty well, though the sensation is a bit weird... I can feel my body wanting to be sick, but then the medicine kinda beats the nausea into submission. I can't pretend that I feel 100%, but it's certainly better then curled up in a ball moaning in agony. I've also found that fresh air & music helps quite a bit, so I usually try to get a spot the deck with my MP3 player.

When I'm just shore diving (heavy surge makes me sick), I use Bonine &/or ginger pills... but they don't work all the time, because I've puked on both.

Everyone is different though... you just have to figure out what works for you.

I get sea sick on a merry-go-round. Heck, I get sick WATCHING a merry-go-round. I have had great success with both the patch and the bonine pills but I also suggest trying it before you dive with it. The suggestion of taking it the night before to get some in your system is something I have done and found it to be the difference maker. All that said, I do feel a little tired and have even had sea sick like side effect after taking the patch off. YMMV.

Your other option is to go to Bonaire and shore dive. Shore diving is heaven for those of us who get sick easily! Have fun, good luck, and I agree with much of the great advice above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom