are wings worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaboy10

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
im just got into diving and im buying some gear but im wondering if and plate and a wing are worth it? theres a package a diver supply for 279 which sounds like a pretty good deal. i am a complete beginner and was wondering why someone would want them. does it feel better?

Oh boy, you just opened a can of worms. These threads tend to explode.
There are many many threads already beating this subject to death. Do a search then commit to about a weeks worth of time straight to get through them.

But if you want my opinion, yes they are worth it and the only way to go, IMO.
There are many people on this board, people working in dive shops, gear manufacturers, etc., that will tell you contrary, and there are a lot of BP/W people here that are totally pro BP/W.
I am a minimalist and don't believe in a lot of fluff in dive gear. I like very simple streamlined gear and a plate and wing is about as basic and functional as you can get.

My suggestion would be to buy a BP/W first and use it, then borrow or rent a jacket style BC and see the difference. If you like the plate/wing you haven't lost anything. If you like the jacket BC it's easier to sell a BP/W then it is a jacket and the resale is better. BP/W are in very high demand.

Also, those "hybrid" back inflate BC's that kind of look like a jacket but don't have any inflation on the sides but still have all the sewn and padded crap everywhere and integrated weights, those don't count as a BP/W's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! I had always used BC's until this year. I had looked at BP/w setups and thought they looked so uncomfortable, especially the single piece of webbing. I couldn't even image a bare steel backplate without padding not hurting. Lordy, was I ever wrong!

Carrie

I'll tell you for sure Sunday after I use mine for the first time but based on everything I've read (and the $$ difference) I wish I'd bought a BP/W right from the beginning.

I'll tell you for sure Sunday after I use mine for the first time but based on everything I've read (and the $$ difference) I wish I'd bought a BP/W right from the beginning.

Hear! Hear! (Me, too. Went BP/W recently and am kicking myself for not listening to the SBers that advised to start out with a BP/W.)

im just got into diving and im buying some gear but im wondering if and plate and a wing are worth it?

Try it out and find out :) It is best to try gear out before buying... Wish I'd tried out a BP/W though, before buying a wing.

theres a package a diver supply for 279 which sounds like a pretty good deal. i am a complete beginner and was wondering why someone would want them. does it feel better?

What is in the package? As to why someone would want them there are lots of reasons such as
-cheaper than a BC often
-modular so you can switch around wings, use them for doubles or singles, easy to adjust the harness, etc
-with a SS plate it can take 6lb (or more) off your belt and the distribution can be more comfortable
-holds the tank more stable
-with a one piece harness you don't have to have lots of d-rings, straps, etc and there is nothing much on your front
-some BCs are quite buoyant as they have lots of padding so you can reduce weighting even further if you cut that out

and a bunch more. :)

im just got into diving and im buying some gear but im wondering if and plate and a wing are worth it? theres a package a diver supply for 279 which sounds like a pretty good deal. i am a complete beginner and was wondering why someone would want them. does it feel better?

A BP/W is simply a different design than a jacket BC. It's not necessarily better or worse and whether or not you like it, really depends on whether or not you like it. Nobody can tell you if you'll be happy with it any more than they can tell you if you like pizza.

I'd recommend trying what you're thinking of getting in the pool, before you buy it. This goes for your BC as well as pretty much everything else you'll be using.

As for your particular "internet find", it actually sounds like something is wrong or its missing something. Just a good stainless steel plate with a harness can easily run more than $250. If you found one that comes with a wing for that price, it would be interesting to see exactly what it is.

Terry

Is this it? TECHNICAL SCUBA BCD PACKAGE at Divers-Supply.com

You'll probably need a single tank adaptor ($59.95) and a set of cam bands ($54.95 or so) to complete the package. The cam bands are the straps that actually hold the cylinder to the plate, and the single tank adaptor is necessary for some wings, and a nice convenience for others (helps keep the cylinder a bit more stable on your back, and some wings don't have slots for cam bands, so you'll need a single tank adaptor in order to have a place to attach the cam bands).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom