uw old slr strobes will lock up new dslr bodies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvinj88

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay so I called Ikelite yesterday asking if I can use the old substrobe 50 on my olympus E-1. they told me not to risk it 'cuz it may lock up my camera, when they say lock-up is it the shutter that locks up? They told me I would have to buy the new TTL DS-51 ($379 each ..ouch) and the digital sync cord ($94..another ouch..or dual sync..$150). Weird enough my Fuji S1 Pro takes the old substrobe 50 and even ttl's with it. using the old sync cord. (it's probably because the camera body is based on the slr nikon N60 film body) ..so i remembered that when using the Vivitar 285HV on camera i had to use the Wein Safe sync

so in retrospect..if i use the old strobe with my e-1 using the safe sync, i shud be fine right? what do u guys think?

The Substrobe 50 does not recycle quickly enough to perform the preflash and main-flash functions of the E-1 camera. Also, the old SS50 cannot power up the circuitry in the housing.

The TTL on the Fuji S1 pro is totally different compared to newer DSLRs. The S1 did not use a preflash and in fact is was more like a Nikon film TTL system in terms of electronic requirements.

We have not tested the Safe-Sync so cannot say for sure whether it will work with our housing.

You are definitely not going to "fry" your camera... the worst that would happen would be rapid auto-firing of the strobe. If you are dead-set on using the SS50 with an E-1 housing, you can use a pair of needle nosed pliers to pull out all except for the ground and trigger wires on one end of your single sync cord. This essentially turns it into a manual only sync cord. See wiring diagrams on the following page:

IKELITE Underwater Systems

You would not be able to take advantage of the TTL circuitry in the housing at all.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

from website:

Do the newer sync cords work with my old NON-TTL Ikelite Substrobe?

Absolutely NOT. Do not use TTL Sync Cords with very old Non-TTL Ikelite SubStrobes that have only four connectors (no center contact) in the bulkhead. Non-TTL sync cords MUST be used with these strobes. These strobes were made before TTL existed, and a TTL sync cord on these old strobes will apply 360 volts to a Nikonos V camera which fries it instantly.

Sorry, but the answer to your next question is also NO. We no longer make non-TTL sync cords.

--I sure hope this only applies to Nikonos Cameras not. DSLRs--

Last edited:
The strobe would still cause interference with the TTL circuitry in the housing. Your only options are to either pull the wires out of the cord as I stated or you could send your housing in and we can disconnect the TTL circuitry.

The passage you quote from our FAQ section refers to NON-TTL substrobes. The Substrobe 50 is a TTL strobe.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

well the reason im dead set on using the substrobe 50 is im saving up for the DS-51. but for now i need to use the substrobe 50. i just recently bought the $150 digital sync dual cable. pulling those contacts isn't really a good option for me. when i need to upgrade later. u guys mentioned u can cover the hot-shoe contacts with tape for nikon or canon. is it possible to use a voltage tester to determine which contacts are the ground and trigger thru the ikelite sync via housing hot-shoe and cover those contacts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom