It's official...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
After months of doing a little search and rescue stuff here and there, sorta "being affiliated" with the local SAR teams (mostly training stuff) and only finding work somewhat "freelance," I am officially a part of the Beaufort Water Search and Rescue Team (Member of the Marine Rescue Squadrons of America).

Man, I'm psyched.

That said... Tonight I got my first call... And I didn't get the message until many hours had passed. :( I can't believe it... I missed my first "real" call! Argh!

'Course, it was only for some boat that had managed to beach itself in the middle of nowhere. Whatever. It was over and done with before I even got the call. Boat went aground, and the motor got overheated... Normally, the outfit that I'm working with wouldn't even bother with those guys - they'd just tell them to call the commercial company that does stuff like that in our area. But for some reason, it came to us.

...So it would have been a boring rescue anyway. I mean heck, I'm a diver! I wanna dive! :)

But I'm really bummed that I missed my first call. The captain simply said, "Not everyone can make every call... There will be plenty more." :) I'm keeping my tanks topped off ALL THE TIME. :D

Cool. I can't wait to do what I love - and help people out. :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of rescue. :D I know what you mean about mising your first call man. I still remember what it felt like missing my first fire call. There WILL be plenty more rest assured. :wink: Be safe out there and remember rule #1 - don't become a victim yourself!

Any updates on the world record attempt yet?

I was talking with some potentially influential people about it today.

They asked all the normal quesitons... How do you plan to eat, how do you plan to keep from dying of boredom... How do you plan on going to the bathroom... You know, normal stuff.

Funny.

I can tell you this... The dive's not happening in November, that's for sure. At this point, it's looking like next May will be much more likely.

My original sponsor - the one with the facility - has backed out due to "liability issues." I thought for sure that the situation could be rectified quickly, but there's miles and miles of red tape.

Someone here on the board who is a "PR" guy by profession has volunteered his services. If I don't have any luck finding a new facility by the end of this week, I'm putting him on this one. We'll see what he can do with this.

Almost certainly, this event will occur in Florida, at one of the theme parks. I am not sure which one yet. There is an outside chance that this event will occur in a mall in the midwest, as well.

The record attempt will be listed in the Guiness Book as an "endurance record." Between you and me, I feel like the "endurance" is not the 14-day underwater thing... It's the "endurance" involved stretching my patience with all of that red tape and "liability" crap.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Back
Top Bottom