Advice for Tekna DV 3-X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grassyknoll

Contributor
Reaction score
So I picked up a used Tekna DV 3-X and while I am waiting for it to arrive I thought it would be a good idea to put together a checklist of items to run through.
Having read through the posts on the Teknas, it looks like Nemrod and Cratos seem to have a lot of experience with these DPVs but I thought I would ask of anyone who wants to provide input.
What are some of the most common issues that should be checked? It still has the light so I'll be looking to replace it with the plexi cover; but other than that, what should be inspected?

Thanks in advance.

Go over to the Deco Stop and search for posts on Tekna by Scuba _Vixen, she knows EVERYTHING about them.

Last edited:
The case design is actually very poor and riddled with multiple weaknesses, Humpty Dumpty took a fall and all the King's men and all of his wizards, nigh, even Nemrod can put it right again. The front bulkhead is weak and has multiple leak paths, almost all of them are cracked. The front battery support will often be cracked at the posts. These are usually the result of poor handling and setting the scooter over on it's side. The scooter is designed to sit on it's prop shroud, NEVER on the side.

The hydrogen absorbers will need to be replaced, the charge port diode is important and the entire charge circuit is suspect and potentially dangerous. The rear motor bulkhead is also horribly weak and probably cracked.

Both the front bulkhead and the motor bulkhead are good items to replace. I originally purchased replacements from DPV Repair but "Blue Number 5" that I just finished and have sold I built new bulkheads for it of my own design.

I would also check the main body O ring surfaces carefully and replace that O ring with a new one.

The Tekna is really a PITA. You just never know what will happen when you pull the motor trigger, your choices are:

A) The thing explodes with a load Kaboom.
B) The thing sits there and does nothing (that is sometimes a blessing vs choice A).
C) It runs normally, yeah, right.
D) It floods and sinks like a rock.

Oh, there is a choice (E) in that somehow I got the prop messed up one day without noticing and it ran backwards, that was interesting.

I would consider switching the motor switch to the light trigger and remove the light, though my "Red Devil Number 2" still has the light, I like to live dangerously!

N

Go over to the Deco Stop and search for posts on Tekna by Scuba _Vixen, she knows EVERYTHING about them.

Thanks DenisS, I'll definitely check there.

Nemrod,

I've read a few of your posts on the Tekna where you make it out to be the Yugo of the undersea and then several posts later, somewhat retract your statements (perhaps the Tekna is more akin to a 60's British sports car?):).
I definitely sense you have a love-hate relationship with these units, particularly seeing how long you have owned them and how many too. So, I am assuming that as long as the case integrity is not compromised, they are a fine unit for someone who doesn't mind maintaining their own equipment.

Thanks DenisS, I'll definitely check there.

Nemrod,

I've read a few of your posts on the Tekna where you make it out to be the Yugo of the undersea and then several posts later, somewhat retract your statements (perhaps the Tekna is more akin to a 60's British sports car?):).
I definitely sense you have a love-hate relationship with these units, particularly seeing how long you have owned them and how many too. So, I am assuming that as long as the case integrity is not compromised, they are a fine unit for someone who doesn't mind maintaining their own equipment.

Love and hate, well yes. I never said Yugo, I never saw a Yugo explode! Maybe catch on fire but that was actually a Pinto, that being Fords are rather flammable. I never saw a Tekna explode in real life but I have seen pictures. My "Red Devil Number One" went into a melt down, it was not pretty, thus "Red Devil Number 2" :shocked2:. It was partly my fault, hot wound motors, high prop pitch, well, it got kinda hot :no:.

The Tekna was a fine scooter in it's day and the forerunner of today's high performance scooters. The shroud and propeller design and even the motor type, excluding brushless, are used by almost all modern scooters. The Tekna is fast, relatively compact and oh so fragile. Then you purchase one that is twenty plus years old, that has seen it's better day, yes, they are a PITA to maintain.

If you have a good one, if you treat it well, maintain it correctly, use modern parts, replace the bulkheads, maybe a hot wind on the motor, decent batteries (I use cheap gell cells, work fine) then the scooter is entirely acceptable for use as a fun toy. It is not up to "cave" standards IMO and I would not use one where my life might depend on it or safety compromised.

Yes, I have rebuilt five units, two were piece built from basket cases. I have completely redone the electronics, wound motors, made new bulkheads as well as getting some items from DPV Repair. Frankly, I have kind of lost interest in them and may pull the motor from my last unit and build a custom scooter from it.

I built a scooter from purchased plans in 1982. I then, being a Tekna fan, circa 1984ish bought a new Tekna DPV. I built up a beautiful blue Tekna last summer, took it to a lake for a test run, a quarry, and some fellow just had to have it. He offered me a large pile of cash. I turned him down and he cried and pouted and offered more money. I took pity upon the mere mortal and let him have it for a fair price, much less than his actual offer, I could not cheat a fellow, lol. And then I told him, when the cash changes hands, it is his problem, don't come crying to me.

Yes, I had a TR6, yep, good comparison, fast when it runs, not so fast when it don't, electrics by Lucifer, uh huh. :rofl3:

Good luck.

N

I bought one about a year ago and am using the motor and shroud to build my own using large PVC pipe. The motors are great the body plastic is very thin.

I bought one about a year ago and am using the motor and shroud to build my own using large PVC pipe. The motors are great the body plastic is very thin.

Interesting, by any chance are you planning to do a write up and post in the DIY forum?

I will do a write up when I finish it, but until I finish college in the next 3 weeks, its on hold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom