Split from: Cozumel Incident - Fake C Cards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deac in the Wake

Contributor
Reaction score

Fake c-card? In today's days/times, I can't say I'm surprised but I never even considered that would be a possibility.

Is that something common enough that dive professionals have heard of it before? Sure, when you're a kid, getting a drink at a bar or buying cigs is one thing. But a fake c-card? Why not just turn on a wood chipper and put a blindfold on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fake c-card? In today's days/times, I can't say I'm surprised but I never even considered that would be a possibility.

Is that something common enough that dive professionals have heard of it before? Sure, when you're a kid, getting a drink at a bar or buying cigs is one thing. But a fake c-card? Why not just turn on a wood chipper and put a blindfold on?

Maybe not fake as much as invalid. I remember there is that Shady Op selling C-Cards & referrals online. Possibly she thought she had a valid C-Card because she'd read a 5 page website about diving and passed their "test"?

Do they even ask for c-cards in Mexico? Aldora is the only op in mexico I've ever dove with that actually asked for a card.....

Do they even ask for c-cards in Mexico? Aldora is the only op in mexico I've ever dove with that actually asked for a card.....

Maybe it's just me, but I can't recall a dive op that hasn't asked to see my C-Card, either in Mexico or elsewhere.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't recall a dive op that hasn't asked to see my C-Card, either in Mexico or elsewhere.

Same here---maybe he dives with fake dive shops....

OK folks we are way OT...of course there is not really a 'topic' yet.
Hopefully I will have more details the first of the week. While I can't guarantee first hand information it may come second hand. Time zone changes and schedules make it hard to communicate sometimes.:depressed:

Well whenever I dove outside the USA. Bahamas, Utila, St. Thomas etc.
I was never asked for a C card.
But I always had all my own gear & only needed tanks & weight.
And managed to set it up properly without any help.

I've dove a lot of places in the Caribbean; Coz, Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, Aruba, Bonaire, and Bahamas. I was only once asked from my C-Card, and that was on the only liveaboard I've taken and was in the Bahamas.

That said, almost every place (I can't remember not having to) has had me fill out forms, indicating my Cert level and cert number, along with my most recent dive date and some other dive related info. I've always filled out the forms, but have never been asked for my card to verify that I didn't manufacture the data. Also, never have I ever been asked to show my log book to a dive op or an instructor. But, I'd dove many many times with each my instructors, so they pretty much had first hand knowledge of my diving.

Been to Coz many times and not asked for a C-card.
Was in the Bahamas with a guy that had a legit C-card and knew NOTHING. He'd paid $25USD for it in Mexico City. Wanna guess what agency?
Bill

Been to Coz many times and not asked for a C-card.
Was in the Bahamas with a guy that had a legit C-card and knew NOTHING. He'd paid $25USD for it in Mexico City. Wanna guess what agency?
Bill

Just a guess here but- I'm thinking you never dove with Aldora---

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom