BLADEFISH Sea Jets - A Completely Different Approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilEllis

Reaction score
Value priced recreational dive propulsion vehicles have represented a pretty substantial and growing market over the past several years. The introduction of the SeaDoo VS Supercharged seemed to be the first price point scooter to really capture the attention of recreational scuba divers. From that, many attempts followed.

At the DEMA show this year, Innovative Scuba showed the first production sample of the newest entry into this market.....the Bladefish 5000 Sea Jet. This one is really different in appearance and function from what we "expect" when we think of a recreational DPV. Gone is the traditional cone-shaped battery and motor compartment. Instead, the Bladefish 5000 appears to have only the business part of the scooter; the blade and shroud. The battery and motor are simply housed in the shroud. Gone is the concept that the device has to be "disassembled" by the consumer to charge the battery. The use of high-powered lithium-ion batteries allows power to be provided with very little space to house the battery.

This entire thing measures only 15" by 5.5". It weighs only slightly over 10 pounds. It is tested to 160 feet, but is "rated" at 130 feet to conform to accepted recreational diving depth limits. It has three speeds, with a burn time of 70-120 minutes. According to the manufacturer, it travels at over 3 miles per hour.

There will be a number of different models available worldwide, but in the United States there will be only two models.....the Bladefish 3000 and the Bladefish 5000. I think for scuba applications, the Bladefish 5000 will be the one of interest. It has the burn-time and depth rating necessary for recreational scuba.

We have put this product on our website and are taking pre-orders for delivery at the end of January 2010. I am providing this link simply to allow you to see pictures of this gizmo. Of course, if there is interest, you can also place an order.

Bladefish 5000 Sea Jets - Available in 2010!

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

That looks cool. I love diving DPV's and would like to give one of these a try. Are there any videos of them in action?

There is a video of a snorkeler using a 2000 model. I think it is on YouTube. We do not have a video of the 5000 model yet. There will eventually be a video, but it may be a couple of weeks yet. Thanks.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

According to the manufacturer, it travels at over 3 miles per hour.

I seriously doubt that 1/2 that claimed speed is possible.

3 mph is 264 ft per minute.

Only the very fastest high powered "tech" scooters can do this.

It requires ~1 kw (1.34 hp) of power to overcome the drag a typical single tank diver creates at 3 mph.

The motors alone in these tech scooters weigh ~10 lbs.

Lithium Ion batteries provide about 80 watthours per lbs. You'd need 6-7 lbs of battery to deliver 1 kw for even 30 minutes.

This may be a fine recreational scooter, but no 10 lbs scooter is going to produce 3 mph...........

Tobin

I seriously doubt that 1/2 that claimed speed is possible.

3 mph is 264 ft per minute.

Only the very fastest high powered "tech" scooters can do this.

It requires ~1 kw (1.34 hp) of power to overcome the drag a typical single tank diver creates at 3 mph.

The motors alone in these tech scooters weigh ~10 lbs.

Lithium Ion batteries provide about 80 watthours per lbs. You'd need 6-7 lbs of battery to deliver 1 kw for even 30 minutes.

This may be a fine recreational scooter, but no 10 lbs scooter is going to produce 3 mph...........

Tobin

Tobin, I am equally skeptical of that speed claim. I don't know how the manufacturer calculated that, but retailers will post the manufacturers claimed results pending any further information. However, I do think it will move a recreational diver plenty fast. I look forward to more definitive local tests.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Tobin, I am equally skeptical of that speed claim.

If I'm uncertain of the veracity of a claim I avoid using it to promote sales.

I don't know how the manufacturer calculated that, but retailers will post the manufacturers claimed results pending any further information.

Sadly your right. Maybe all's fair in world where hype has replaced facts to such an extent most consumers assume they are being lied to all the time.

Tobin

If I'm uncertain of the veracity of a claim I avoid using it to promote sales.

I questioned intensively and was told that the quoted numbers were based on an actual test. Now, I am nearly positive that any tests were done with snorkelers and not fully equipped divers. I know considerable testing is ongoing right now and maybe we will hear more soon from the manufacturer. I specifically asked that they consider stating speed information in feet per minute with a fully equipped recreational diver. But, we will see what they do.

Sadly your right. Maybe all's fair in world where hype has replaced facts to such an extent most consumers assume they are being lied to all the time.

Tobin

I don't have any evidence that I, or anyone else, had engaged in hype intended to fool any buyer. I as a retailer am simply stating the manufacture's claims on this product. I further don't see this initial release of the manufacture's information to be a "lie" designed to fool anyone. I think we will certainly know more information about this product when the first large production shipment arrives in late January.

In any event, and regardless of the speed information released as the final metrics by the manufacturer, I do clearly see this product as "breaking the mold" when compared to the other attempts to provide an economical propulsion device to the recreational dive community.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

I questioned intensively and was told that the quoted numbers were based on an actual test. Now, I am nearly positive that any tests were done with snorkelers and not fully equipped divers. I know considerable testing is ongoing right now and maybe we will hear more soon from the manufacturer. I specifically asked that they consider stating speed information in feet per minute with a fully equipped recreational diver. But, we will see what they do.

The scooters that came close to breaking 3.0 Mph at the Tahoe bench mark testing were consuming over 1000 watts.

The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity.

That means to move from 3.0 mph to 3.75 mph requires roughly twice the power.

How do you get 2 kw from 210 watt motor?

210 watt motors can't tow Twiggy at 3.75 mph if she was naked.

BTW *How* does one test a scooter's speed using breath hold divers to 2 significant digits?

Tobin

It seems as if the only way to clear up these claims is to test it. I suggest that you send one out to San Diego and I will play with...I mean, test it thoroughly.

In all seriousness I agree with Tobin in the sense that the scooter probably does not get the speeds that the manufacturer is claiming. Then again, if I was looking for a scooter to go that fast, I would be looking at the high end ones and then probably resolve to build one myself. It is good to see new and different ideas come into the DPV market. I believe as far as dive equipment is concerned it is the area where the most improvement and innovation can occur. I would love to see the cost of scooters come down to a range where most of the recreational divers could afford them.

Dane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom