Need advise - Is shorty adequate protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darlene

Reaction score
Next week I will be doing my first dive in the Florida Keys. I have a 3 m shorty wet suit. Is that enough personal protection or should I invest in a skin? :confused: Most of my diving experience has been in rock quarries and lakes where a full 7 mm wet suit with hood and gloves are necessary. Last year I dove in the gulf in the shorty which was fine for that area.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Darlene :wink:

Thermal protection is idiosyncratic.

To put it in perspective, below is a piece, in part, from my June '00 "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "5 mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, expect Florida Keys scuba water temps next week of ~78 degrees plus/minus a degree. Personally, if was doing multiple dives over multiple days at that temp, I'd take a 3mm full. If you get a bit too warm during a dive, you can always let some water into the suit. Much harder to warm up.

Have a good time.

DocVikingo

I've never seen temps in the 70's in the Keys in July. It was in the low 80's in early June. I'd expect mid 80's by now. For me, that's swim suit only weather, but as Doc says, different folks get chilled at different temps.

I have never dove with anything but a shorty throughout the Caribbean. Have been chilled a few times but not regularly. What has me considering a skin is the fire coral burns. I generally take one hit a year but its enough to make you think. It always happens when I am trying to shoot pictures and lose track of my position.

Shorty down South: Keep two words in mind. They are:

JELLY and FISH

I was happy down in Provo in a 3mm full suit with a hooded vest underneath. I pulled up the hood a couple of times at the safety stop because of those little "mosquitos of the sea."

Keep in mind that the water was 81 degrees F and I float more than swim. I was diving twice a day for six days straight with a night dive thrown it. Those were in the neighborhood of fifty to sixty minute dives each. It doesn't take long to get cold. The DM's were wearing 3mm/5mm full wetsuits because of that.

Just my observations on wetsuit protection in the Caribbean.

The 3mm should be plenty for thermal protection but I always dive a skin, shortie or not for protection against jellyfish (just a detatched tentacle is enough to mess up your day) and sunburn.

I'm a Florida diver. Do the shortly for warmth, and the skin to keep free of jelly fish, etc. I also have a lycra hood to keep the jellys off my head, and the skin protects against a visicious sunburn. Have fun. :wink:

Last year in the Keys in July I wore a 5mm jumpsuit and a cap hood. I was comfortable most of the time except for the night dives.....got a little chilled.

I'm leaving in two weeks for Cayman Brac and I'm taking my 5mm jumpsuit, lycra skin, cap hood and a hooded 3mm vest. I plan to mix and match as needed. I anticipate a few dives at the beginning with the skin and vest....moving on to the jumpsuit and cap hood.....and maybe even toward the end of the week you'll find me in the 5mm WITH the hooded vest.

To say the least.....I get cold VERY easily. I'm not having fun if I'm cold.

Very easily is an understatement, but it proves the point. Everyone is different.

Thanks everyone :wink:

Lots of good info. My concern was for jellyfish. I do not get cold easily but would hate to have a dive ruined by an unwelcomed suprise.

Last weekend I dove at Mermit Springs in Illinois where the temp dipped dropped to 42 degrees after 50 feet. Burrrrrrrrr! 7m suit, gloves & hood were in order. :eek:ut:

I'm looking forward to diving without all the heavy gear. :)

Thanks again,

Darlene

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom