4m deeper in cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Padi recommends planning dives 4m deeper than your actual depth when diving in cold water. This is kind of vague. Just how cold is cold? Even when diving in the tropics, someone could be chilled after a few dives. Would you plan a greater depth in that case?

It is vague, I learned in Monterey where the instructor had us use this rule because the water was in the mid 50s. As a guide, he told us to use this if you're diving in water where you need a hood and gloves. If you can hack it in 60 degree water without a hood, fine, if not, then treat it as cold water. Better to err on the conservative side.

Spending most of my time diving in Ohio I can relate. I do not think there can be a set standard as to what is cold. Everone has differant tolerances. My instuctor has always taught us that if you think it is cold, then it is. You feel you will be cold, then add the 10 foot saftey margin. Alot depends on your thermal protection as well. I always dive dry up here, so cold to me is different then for someone who is diving in a 5mil. I would suggest that if you think it is going to be cold for you, add the depth.

I guess it's like anything dive related: Nothing is etched in stone. The tables are approximations and the temp/depth recommendations are relative as well. What's cold for someone is comfortable for another. It's not really the water temperature but your body's reaction to it that could get you into trouble.

jiveturkey once bubbled...
I guess it's like anything dive related: Nothing is etched in stone. The tables are approximations and the temp/depth recommendations are relative as well. What's cold for someone is comfortable for another. It's not really the water temperature but your body's reaction to it that could get you into trouble.

I agree. I've known folks that used a 3mm in a heated pool and a guy that dove to 80 feet in Lake Superior in a polartec. To hell with the rule of thumb. Listen to your body. If it tells you it's cold, but the water is 80F, put on thermal protection till your body says it's warm.

Back
Top Bottom