more keys questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikwho

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, my fiance is about to take her OW class. This feburary in the keys will be her first diving outside of class. What is a good place for a begginner to dive in the key west area? good charter? Also, same question about key largo. We are spending the first few days in key west, then a few days in key largo. Is the Duane wreck divable for a new diver?

nik,

We have dove with most of the different dive shops. It really depends on what you want. If a bigger boat is what your looking for, go with Captain Slates. If a smaller boat is what you like, either Silent World or Ocean Divers are good. I prefer the bigger boats that time of year because they handle the bigger wave better. Plus the people at Slates are fun.

As for the Duane for a new diver, it wouldn't suggest it. It is an advanced dive. The currents can rip. But if you are determined, most shops will require a DM to go with you if they even allow an OW diver. If you want to do a wreck dive in the OW range, try the Benwood.

If this is her first time in the ocean, let her get use to the differences between saltwater and freshwater. There is so much to see in the 20 -40 ft range in Key Largo.

In the words of my wife's instructor-Don't push her, let her lead. It will better for the both of you.

thats a good point! I don't want to push her right out of wanting to dive! I was going to make the "christ of the abyss" the first dive. I hear its just in about 30 feet of water.

nik,

that was my wifes first ocean dive also. I think it is a state law that any diver that goes to Key Largo must dive the Christ of the Abyss at least once in their life.:D

My Fav for a shallow dive is North North dry rocks(so good they named it twice)

Thanks guys! I think thats what we'll do. If she feels more adventurous, I'll wait for her to ask to go on a deeper, more challenging dive. I might take off one day and go dive the Duane or Vandenburg by myself! I have to do the check dive for my wreck diving course anyway.

Spiegel usually has less curent then Duane. I agreed with Benwood. Still a partially in tact wreck (with a ton of fish) and less then 60 ft. No stress equalls more enjoyable dive for her and inturn you. If you are looking for something different try the Benwood at night. Find a place like Rainbow Reef (Free DM). The only problem is getting a night dive in that time of year. Also in the Keys most operators have no problem with OW doing a night dive.

I believe that Slate's Atlantis does a night dive every night if they have two divers. Contact Speargirl to confirm. Another two fins up for the Benwood, a lovely dive!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom