Hudson Grotto info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RetMTFE

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone been to Hudson Grotto?
I was looking at it on Scuba West's web site and it looks interesting. Just wish they had some underwater shots.

Hudson Grotto is very tannic so it's like you are diving in iced tea -- "clear" but very dark. On top of that there is a sulfur layer around 70-80 feet or so. Below this, there is no light whatsoever. It bottoms out at around 140 ffw and there are a few things on the bottom -- boats, VW van, skeketon with a fax machine, and LOTS of silt. There are three platforms just off the dock and then another platform at 100 feet.

Personally, I like diving there to push advanced nitrox students or normoxic trimix students a little beyond their comfort zones.

I'm an avid photographer, but it's difficult to get good shots there due to the tannic water.

Doug

Thanks for the info. I was a little curious when it said it's a sink.

It's dark. There are a couple of turtles and fish. You mostly just follow the line around the outside of the sink. They have decorated the walls with miscellaneous items. There are some vehicles and stuff that have been sunk in the grotto.

I dove the Hudson Grotto a long time ago. I know this is not accurate but I seem to remember it as somewhat of a large vertical cylinder. The day we dove the water was somewhat clear, not too turbid. There is not an abundance of light streaming in from the surface so it is somewhat dim in the light department. After your eyes adjust you can see find while you are close to the surface. I would for sure plan on taking multiple powerful lights. Its about 100 feet deep or so. It is somewhat of a vertical drop yet the diameter is fairly large so you can swim about if you like. I heard there were fossils on the bottom. I really cant imagine there being anything on the bottom that has not been picked over. The wall structure could possibly provide some interesting photo material. I dont recall life but I am sure there are some small creatures that call it home.

Thanks all for the info.
Guess I'll put it on the "list" and check it out next time I drive down towards Tampa.
Only costs $15.00 to dive so it's worth a shot.

Anyone been to Hudson Grotto?
I was looking at it on Scuba West's web site and it looks interesting. Just wish they had some underwater shots.

Okay, I dove there yesterday. I like diving there, wanna practice night diving and not have to fumble around for your gear on shore in the dark? Wanna go deep and believe your alot deeper? Wanna practice Buoyancy and meet interesting people?

Listen, the "grotto" is all of that and more. Yes it has a sulpher layer and you will have to clean all your gear right after diving there. It is very Tanic and you need a decent flashlight. The surface temp right now is about 76 degrees and about 70 at bottom. The year the vis in the "grotto" is the best I have seen in it 3 years, 25 to 30 feet at the 20 foot platform.

Platforms are at 20 ft, 40 ft, 100ft.

There are 2 downlines to the bottom, one leads to the 100 training platform and the other runs down the wall right by the 20 ft platform. At each line you can follow cave lines and cookies around to vans, boats and even a toilet on the bottom. One part of the bottom slant downward to about 135 to 140 ft. The Bottom is mostly around 105 to 110, the bottom is very very silty and there is hardly no flow.

This is a fresh water dive but there is salt water intrusion with tides.
The shop is right across the street and it is a full service shop with rental and everything you could almost need to dive.

My wife and I dive there often and we have a bal each time, we always find something new and different. It is close to Tampa and $15.00 for all day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom