Training difference between Master Diver and Dive Master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phil8diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to ask what is the difference between Master Diver and Dive Master in terms of training. Not talking about going pro and recreational but on training.

Thank you in advance.

Master Diver is just a badge from PADI that you get after you complete 5 specialty courses. Divemaster training develops your leadership abilities, qualifying you to supervise dive activities and assist instructors with student divers. It is a professional qualification.

Don't feel bad. This nomenclature difference is confusing to those unfamiliar with the diving business.

The two certifications are two completely different things...

Master Diver is a "recognition" level certification for recreational divers. Once you have completed an Advanced Open Water Diver course and a Rescue Diver (or Stress and Rescue, depending on agency) course you are then eligible for the recognition certification of "Master Diver". BTW with SSI, you also have to have at least 50 logged dives.

Dive Master is a "leadership" certification and with most agencies, it is the entry level Pro certification. The first step in becoming an instructor.

Hope that makes sense.

CFB

Don't feel bad. This nomenclature difference is confusing to those unfamiliar with the diving business.

The two certifications are two completely different things...

Master Diver is a "recognition" level certification for recreational divers. Once you have completed an Advanced Open Water Diver course and a Rescue Diver (or Stress and Rescue, depending on agency) course you are then eligible for the recognition certification of "Master Diver". BTW with SSI, you also have to have at least 50 logged dives.

Dive Master is a "leadership" certification and with most agencies, it is the entry level Pro certification. The first step in becoming an instructor.

Hope that makes sense.

CFB

It makes better sense than my post. lol

Actaully, the above are not entirely correct in that it depends on the agency. I have been researching this same topic and what I have learned is that Dive Master/Dive Con is the start to going pro but Master Diver is either a shiny new card that is handed out like halloween candy or a real certification with high standards. From what I have discovered, it sounds like SEI and NAUI have some of the better courses-there could be others.

Master Diver is just a badge from PADI that you get after you complete 5 specialty courses. Divemaster training develops your leadership abilities, qualifying you to supervise dive activities and assist instructors with student divers. It is a professional qualification.

In addition, the Divemaster course includes reading and written tests on subjects such as including Diving Physiology. It is much more intense, much more comprehensive, and more time is required than taking a specialty course. There is pool time required including demonstrations of skills where you have to perform them just as an instructor must perform them, timed swims, rescue senarios, etc. After that, the student is required to do internships with classes. It is a hard course and many people start it but never finish as it is much more than they expected.

Drunk chicks at the bars dig my Master Diver card.

That could very well be the best argument for getting the PADI MD card that I have ever heard.

OldNSalty:
That could very well be the best argument for getting the PADI MD card that I have ever heard.

True, but a MD card representing an actual class would be as effective in that regard and you get the bonus of actually taking a class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom