Vortex Springs Web Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RetMTFE

Contributor
Reaction score
What's up with Vortex Springs web site? When I try it, I get a warning from Google that says continuing to the site may harm your computer.
Anyone know anything about this?

I searched and found the same message but just went ahead and went to the site. Just don't download anything from the site. Onlt thing they can really do is track your cookies but again I say do not accept any type of download or any type of activ-x download it may try and show. I havn't had anything pop up on me while browsing the site but don't wanna take any chances.

I hope they have cleaned it up. We dove and camped there as the first stop in a two-week Florida Springs Camp 'n' Dive tour maybe ten years ago. The campground was a pig sty and the dive was the least pleasurable of the dives we did on the trip.

I hope they have cleaned it up. We dove and camped there as the first stop in a two-week Florida Springs Camp 'n' Dive tour maybe ten years ago. The campground was a pig sty and the dive was the least pleasurable of the dives we did on the trip.

Hmmmmmmmm....Sounds a little like my one and only trip to Ginnie Springs.

Don't get me started on Ginnie Springs! We hit it on that 2-week trip and had a blast, but we were there mid-week and had the place to ourselves.

Went back a few years later on a weekend and felt like we were on the set of Animal House. I will never, ever go back there unless it is on a weekday. Never! Ugh!

Vortex is pretty nice now. Since Shane took over management of the place it has improved steadily. The basin has been cleaned up. The old metal platform is gone. The manmade caverns are coming out soon. There are new cabins, a huge pavilion, new compressors and air banks, etc. And the admission price is less.

That is good news because we thought the place COULD be awesome, but it was a sty.

For example, the cushioning under our tent wasn't leaves or pine needles, it was cigarette butts. We only stayed there because we had driven straight through from Fort Lauderdale and we were too exhausted to find other accomodations. Made one dive the next morning and escalated our schedule by one day and went to our next spring.

Don't get me started on Ginnie Springs! We hit it on that 2-week trip and had a blast, but we were there mid-week and had the place to ourselves.

Went back a few years later on a weekend and felt like we were on the set of Animal House. I will never, ever go back there unless it is on a weekday. Never! Ugh!

We went on a weekend too and thought they were filming a remake of Deliverance. I believe the campers and tubers are their bread and butter and that's who they cater to. It's so much fun to be geared up and have to dodge drunks while walking to the water at 10 in the morning. And, don't even get me going on the tons of unsupervised kids in the spring.

That is good news because we thought the place COULD be awesome, but it was a sty.

For example, the cushioning under our tent wasn't leaves or pine needles, it was cigarette butts. We only stayed there because we had driven straight through from Fort Lauderdale and we were too exhausted to find other accomodations. Made one dive the next morning and escalated our schedule by one day and went to our next spring.

Cigarette butts are soft, aren't they?!?

Seriously, I'm sure they are there but not in enough quantity for me to even notice. And Shane has prohibited alcohol on the property except during some special events.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom