Good mnemonic for buddy checks ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anderssub

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anybody have a good mnemonic for buddy-checks which they would be willing to pass on ?

I was taught buddy-checks by two instructors - both of whom I would recommend to anybody wanting to learn to dive. However, neither of my instructors used a standard sequence of checks, and they also didn't use mnemonics to help students remember that set sequence.

I am an experienced flyer - mainly gliders - and also a teacher. I know from long experience that students benefit from learning 'by rote' - learning a set sequence and sticking to that sequence, even when they become much more experienced. (I, and many other glider pilots, still use C.B.S.I.F.T.C.B. for pre-flight checks, even many years after first training).

So do any of the instructors or other experienced divers reading these boards have a favourite mnemonic they can recommend ?

Many thanks in anticipation.

I think there's one on the PADI DVD which means it's probably in the manual too, because the DVD seems to be completely redundant...I've been watching it with my girlfriend and I recall something of that nature.

I use POSUBAB as my pneumonic

(Pools Open See You Back at Boat!)

Here is what I have done. I am diving with my 17 year old daughter, and like most 17 year olds, she is invincable and can be impatient (according to me). I took a page from my pilot traing and made a waterproof check list. (just a piece of overhead stock printed on a lazerjet) I have yet to see if the seawater will wash it away. Please all you experienced guys feel free to suggest new things and then make me print new ones

Check List (after being completely Dressed)

Exposure - Wetsuit zipped and comfortable
BCD Check - Air in the bladder, All buckles, weights secure
Weight belt (if used) - Check right hand release
Computer - On and set for type of dive. Check Buddy transmission
Tank Valve - Turned On, Check pressure on DC
Regs and Octo - Take Breath Reg, buddy's Octo. Reg set for descent or swim
Mask - Defogged, snorkle on the left side
Fins - Straps tightenend (Check again before hitting water)
Review - Dive Plan Quick Review
Orientation - Remember/write down landmark on slate
Final OK's

This is a small card I plan to place in our BCD pockets along with the DC quick ref card. Its not the BWRAF we were taught, but if we read it off the card, there are no mistakes.

Thoughts?

SolarStorm,
I like the card idea. I'll have to include that in my dive preps! When I dive with my wife we just basically go top to bottom front to back checking each other (helps that she looks HOT in a wet suit!!!!!).

Whenever I'm diving with a new buddy, I "quiz" them about the features of their gear and practice things like buddy breathing at the surface before we hit the water.

PADI's is BWRAF (Begin With Review And Friend). It seems to focus more on emergency preparedness.

BCD - Check that your inflator is connected and that things function properly.

Weight - Be aware of ditchable weights. Right hand release on weight belt.

Release - Know where your buddy's releases are in case of an emergency.

Air - Verify your air is on. Check function of both regs. Check air on console.

Final Check - Everything looks right? No tangled hoses? Streamlined? This is more a general check to make sure nothing is out of place.

Personally I run BWRAF on myself before I even check out my buddy. It's worked well for me.

The basic problem with a pneumonic is that an interuption can cause you to forget something. When I fly, I use an overhead pen and actually check off each item, that way no matter what distracts me, I dont forget something. Then I simply wipe it clean.

Distractions can be anything from the boat captain/dive master calling for attention to deliver some info, to the dolphins coming to play while gearing up. With the list, there is less of a chance of forgetting something.

BWRAF is the padi one..

Burgers with relish and fries
Brunette|blonde|big|bi women really are fun
Bruce Willis Ruins|Rocks All films
Begin With Review And a Friend

So buoyancy = make sure buddies inflater work and that dump valves aren't getting caught open by something, dry suit whips connected and working, nothing leaking
Weights = Make sure you have them, and you know how your buddies weight releases work, if any.
Releases = Make sure all right handed releases are in fact, right handed, make sure all clips are accounted for, tank strap is strapped
Air = Make sure air is on(left loose, right tight), and get your buddy to breathe off of both regs while you look at their guage to make sure its not dipping strangely
Final OK = Mask, snorkel, fins, compass, hood, camera, sober enough to dive, whatever.

I have a set routine for gearing up that I try not to vary. I assume that my buddies have done the same. I do a visual on them just to make sure that nothing obvious was missed. If they want a more through buddy check done on them I have no problem with that either.

My gearing up routine is effective mainly just because I do it the same way every time so, even without thinking, it's complete. If something takes me out of my routine then I do more checking as I realize I may have missed something.

Checking my buddy is more about a bubble check or looking for disconnected hoses unless they ask for more.

Back
Top Bottom