What Gear to take on a Plane Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When planning a trip on a plane, what gear do you take with you and what gear are you reluctant to leave home? What gear do you keep in your carry-on bag?

I take all my dive gear and I check all my dive gear. I carry on most of my camera gear, which is more fragile, more expensive, and impossible to rent at my destination. Once a bag didn't arrive on time. It wasn't a major inconvenience; I rented a bc for a couple of days and stuck to natural-light photos until my strobes and bc got there. If it had been a liveaboard trip I would have been stuck diving in paradise for a week or so with a rental bc and no strobes--not exactly a nightmare scenario either.

Because I like my own gear, I know how it has been maintained, and don't like putting anything in my mouth that someone else has had in theirs. I take everything, (except tanks and weights) all my own gear. When I go I take my reg, computer and camera carry on. The rest is checked. I am going to be going someplace warm and tropical. I don't need too much for clothing, leaves more room (and weight) for the things I need on the trip.

Last edited:
Basically, I'll take everything except tank and weights:

Fins, BC, wetsuit, boots, gloves, snorkel, knife, shears,etc. all go in a separate bag as checked luggage.These days, there usually is an extra charge for the extra bag,and lugging it around airports/hotels can be a hassle, but a) I know that everything fits, is working, and how it works and b) the extra bag charge is offset somewhat by not having to rent all that gear.

Mask, regulators, computers, and any Photo related equipment go in a carry-on.
This way, if the other bag is lost/damaged, I still have the most crucial equipment.

You'll probably get a bunch of different replies, and they will vary based on destination, length of stay, # of dives planned,etc.

Wow, do I type slowly-when I started this reply nobody else had answered! :)

Take it ALL for 2 divers ie In the checked suitcase is : 3 masks,2 pr. fins,2 snorkels, 2-2 mm shorties,1- 2 mm hooded vest(wife doesn't use one), 3 pr booties, 2(sometimes 3) sets of skins, 1 mesh dive bag, 2 BCs, lites(small Caribbean ones),extra batteries & other small misc. things I've probably forgotten----TOTAL weight is 48 lbs......

In our 2 carryons are: 2 sets of regulators(1 in each), in my bag is my camera, UW housing, a few batteries, wrist dive comuter---& a change of clothes each(of course)--my carryon weights in about 20 lbs...

NOW, if you're traveling a puddle jumper airline like LIAT, the carryone is (if I remember correctly) ?16 lbs-I wound up putting 1 reg set in the checked luggage to get(my carryon) to 16 lbs....

It can be done, just have to think ahead......Out of ~50 overseas diving trips, I have never rented the 1st piece of equipment....

I take everything but tanks and weights.

Regs and computers go in my carry-on.

I always fly with my gear - in fact, I can manage to take it carry-on, except for: air tanks and weights (rent at destination), knife and dive tools (pack in checked luggage), and fins (too large for carry-on - pack in checked luggage).

Simple: Leave the knife at home; You can check all the rest(no lead or tanks), except t your reg & computer, camera; carry those on...

+1 for take everything but weights & tanks and carry-on your regulator, camera & computer.

You might also want to check worth your airline - some of them will allow you additional checked luggage that is specified "sporting" goods.

I take two sets of everything and my buddy on a plane :D I carry all the electronics and the regulators in a carry on, I take a spare mask, regulator and some little bits. take money leave clothes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom