The question is not HOW DEEP? ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belushi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
... but are we having fun yet?

All you have to remember, is that is does not matter how deep you have been, the number of ascents HAS TO equal the number of descents. Otherwise people get upset.

There is always someone else who has been deeper, for longer, with more gadgets.
Making deep diving into a competition or diving deep because "... your mate has been to 50 metres" is for muppets with a deathwish.
You go as deep as you are trained to. After the recreational limit, then you need additonal training. When you are comfortable with that then you move to the next level of training.

Diving deep takes practice, skill and attitude. If one is missing, then forget it.

Amateurs do it until they get it right.
Professionals do it until they cannot get it wrong.

I have to agree with the first part of your post.

OTOH, anyone can screw up, professionals included. Once you start to think you cannot get it wrong, you're about to get into deep trouble. At this point how deep becomes very important.

WWW™

Walter is absolutely correct.
Two things a professional can do after every dive (or flight).
(1) list the things done wrong
(2) list the lessons learned
The day you find either of these lists empty is the day you know you ain't payin' attention - and that you're getting dangerous.
Rick

I agree..deep isn't a factor. Best dive spot I've found is a night dive in a channel. Max depth is 25ft at high tide. I've stayed down for over 2 hours, and saw EVERYTHING I could want to see! Baby octopus, squid, spanish dancers, anenome crabs, eels, (its rumored that there are baby hammerheads there too..but haven't seen them yet!) Only came up because I was cold. Awesome divesite!

I used to think depth didn't mean anything either. Until I went to the "Twilight Zone" You know that section of water between 200 and 500 FSW. Life at those depth are incredable there are things there that you just won't see at shallower depths. To say you have seen it all and not been down there is a mistake. Unless you have been there, in which case feel free to kick me in the head.

Please don't get me wrong, I agree with your statement completely. Go with what you have been trained to do. And when you are ready then get more training and move on.

This was just a comment.

If I upset or offended you, please know it was not my intention.

Hi all

I agree with all that has been said above, but I think we are missing the point. Its not a question of should we go deep or are we going deeper than we are trained to do...the question was "How Deep".

Divers are always interested in what other divers are doing, just as we are interested in what other divers are wearing.

Just because another diver has dived to 200ft doesn't mean that I'd want to. However I am interested in what that diver was doing at that depth and what he or she experienced. Its human nature....the guys that are going deep are doing it for a reason, and for us mortals who don't aspire to go deep, we want to read about the guys who do and learn from it.

Hocky

Hi all

I totally with you you Hocky, I don't want to go deep, in fact I haven't been past 30m, but I do like reading about divers that have been deep, what they went through, what configurations they have, and what they saw.

The more we learn about the deeper (darker) side the more we can experience what others are going through.

Be good

Red

I'd like to borrow (and paraphrase) a couple a coment that I learned in pilot training.

1) Decending is optional, surfacing is manditory.
2) Don't go more than one mistake deep.

I have lots of reasons to dive, but I have three good reasons to always come back (2 boys, 1 girl)

Just like diving isn't for everybody, technical diving isn't for every diver, and extreme diving isn't for every tech diver. I aspired to go deeper ever since I got into diving, but was fortunate enough to find people to learn how do it correctly. I set my own limits and break them when I'm ready. The way I look at it, diving is comprised of unbreakable rules -- technical diving just has a few extra rules thrown in.

Take care.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom