December diving in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was thinking of doing a couple of dives in Florida before new year and Jupiter is one area that I was considering. If anyone could share what kind of dive conditions (vis / marine life etc) can be expected there in Dec it would help me plan things better.

I am kinda split between Fort Lauderdale and Jupiter but since I have dove Ft Lauderdale, Jupiter seems more tempting. Any other recommendations would also be appreciated.

Kind regard

S-H

I was thinking of doing a couple of dives in Florida before new year and Jupiter is one area that I was considering. If anyone could share what kind of dive conditions (vis / marine life etc) can be expected there in Dec it would help me plan things better.

I am kinda split between Fort Lauderdale and Jupiter but since I have dove Ft Lauderdale, Jupiter seems more tempting. Any other recommendations would also be appreciated.

Kind regard

S-H

Jupter is quite posibale the best diving on the CONUS. You can find hundreds more of these on YouTube. This was the first that I picked. You want large marine life? We got em! PM me if you decide to visit....Scott

YouTube - Wreck & Reef Diving - Jupiter, Florida

Jupiter is a great location. Dive conditions are variable.... obviously. If a storm moves in, you can have an entire week or just a day blown out.. variable! :D

With luck you hit it right, and the conditions are great, and I believe they often are in winter.

Boynton is another great spot.

Vis is also variable. In the summer vis can be 100' there (on a good day), but 30~50 is certainly common. Not so sure about Winter, but I've had 10~15feet there in the summer, and 100', so variable.

What to see? Jupiter often has larger stuff, like sharks, turtles, Rays, Jewfish, Loobster a plenty (at least off season). I think Lemon sharks hook up there, but that maybe more in the Jan~March time-frame.

I'm sure more locals will chime in. I unfortunately only dive FL once or so a year.... :(

What to see? Jupiter often has larger stuff, like sharks, turtles, Rays, Jewfish, Loobster a plenty (at least off season). I think Lemon sharks hook up there, but that maybe more in the Jan~March time-frame.

I'm sure more locals will chime in. I unfortunately only dive FL once or so a year.... :(

Spot-on. Check out link...Bull sharks are often seen especially around hunting...

Shark Foundation Projects: Lemon Sharks Jupiter

Conditions can range from calm, to fairly rough - by December, especially late Dec, we are in the winter dive pattern.

For me, that means break out the 7m, the hood, and be prepared for up to 3 - 5' seas, and bottom temps from the high 60's - (more typical) low 70's.

Viz can vary - but its not out of line to look for 40 - 60' - obviously lower - and greater are possible.

I think you stand a better chance of seeing big stuff - not to mention the lemon shark aggregation - in the winter vs the summer.

Just wear enough "rubber" and bring a jacket to wear between dives.

Jupiter has the best diving in FL - much better (IMO) than Ft Lauderdale.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom