PADI IE (Right wing instructor thoughts!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belushi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am PADI MI/IDCS. I am an instructor with other agencies and by far the most efficient and "on-the-ball" agency is PADI

As far as the courses go, I am 100% behind PADI upto and including DM.
However, after this my views change radically. I am, I guess fairly right wing in my views. Mainly because it disagrees with their "lets make money fast" philosophy I have chosen not to teach PADI anymore. I am seeing the industry change. I do not think it is for the good.

I would like to see AI do a six month internship with a dive centre. I believe that CMAS do that (well some of the Germans do VDST/Barrakuda) This would give them a wide range of teaching experience. How many AIs can service their own regs? How many can drive a boat? How many can operate a compressor?
At least two out of these three are vital to a dive store.
Servicing and compressor use should be in the AI course.

I would also like to see that only MSDTs and above can teach DMs. How can a newly qualified OWSI teach DM? He has no real experience in "instructor life" How is that you have to teach DM/IDC candidates to buddy breathe? Because it is optional no one teaches it!

Once both of these have been completed, then the present IE should be a breeze. Then they should tighten it up. More emphasis on professional attitude and teaching ability.

Belushi:
I belive the whole industry goes down the drain. Today, people that dive less than a year, that may have the 100 requiered dives, but all in "bathtub" condition, and didnt work at all as DM can become AOWI. That's a shame. I belive the 6 months things is a good thing, but can be served as a DM also, just as long as the person sees and lives in a dive-center for that duration of time. Bad instructors bring bad divers that ruin the reef. It is that simple, and today there are far to many bad instructors, and a lot that dont even care.

I just want you to know that I had the same thing in mind for quite some time, and decided to try and do something. right now I am working on building a website, that will suply instructors, aspecialy new ones, with tips, debate forum and much more. If you want some more information, than e-mail me at: bonner@netvision.net.il.

I came through the PADI system untill DM when I grew a brain and actually started to think about what was going on round me.

What I saw I didn't like.

I'm currently a DM, and have far more dives and experience than the MSDT that signed me up as a DM. For me this isn't right. I have also seen DM's that I think are a complete liability, and have less skills than some OW students.

How can a DM/Instructor trained in perfect conditions then work (without any other training) for example in 4°C, Drysuit, 2metres vis? I've seen them try, and they don't do very well!

Every Undersea journal I get is cringeworthy. It has 1 aim. To get you to sell, sell, sell. The first quarter this year with its focus on children was particularly poor in my opinion.

So, I am trying to put together the basics for a 'teach it right' agency. I am not looking for mass market, but a niche whereby people that value quality education can get it. I want it to focus on regular diving, mentoring, and a decent integration of rescue into the system, with periodic reviews of rescue skills etcetera. When I have got a bit further with things, I will let people know....... But, if anybody wants more info, drop me an e-mail!

A good example of what I want is mentoring - the idea that after an OW qualification you are advised to do several 'mentored' dives. Firstly, this brings the student back to you, to spend money with you, without the PADI style 'do the next course'. For DM's and instructor candidates they get more experience by doing the mentoring. If run properly, the dive shop becomes the hub for a network of people looking for mentors, or mentoring experience, and they come back to you!
However, for the student, it gives them time to backup what they learned in their course outside a classroom situation, but with some-one there ready to hold thir hand if necessary. For the more experienced divers, a check perhaps every two years with a mentor, that they can still do all the rescue skills etc.. is (IMNVHO) imperative!

Just think back to your open water course...... how many of those people are still diving? How many gave up straight after? or after a few dives? either through lack of confidence, a bad experience, poor instructor behaviour......

Jon T

Hi there turnerjd.

I live in Israel, and we have a diving law here (see my message about it in the general discussion folder). There is a new article in the law that specifys that every new instructor has to go through at least 4 Internship courses (courses that are either directed by another instructor while he watches, or directed by him with another instructor to keep an eye on him, and give him aid) and win the acceptance of the instructors that were with him.

About your Idea- It won't work for a simple reason: people that want to go and take a diving course dont know the first thing about diving 90% of the time, so you cant explain the situation to them.

As I have a similar Idea in mind, I am going to e-mail you now :)

Jon, I have read several of your posts where you indicate you are very dissatisfied with PADI. To me that begs the question: why stay with that agency?

"So, I am trying to put together the basics for a 'teach it right' agency. I am not looking for mass market, but a niche whereby people that value quality education can get it. I want it to focus on regular diving, mentoring, and a decent integration of rescue into the system, with periodic reviews of rescue skills etcetera."

Another question: Are you going to create your own educational materials from scratch? What types of materials and certification procedures are you going to use? Who's liability insurance?

~SubMariner~

and agree with some of your thinking. I'm not sure that we as a dive community need another agency especially with a DIR attitude(I'm talking about the bashing kind of thing). I do think you are correct with your mentoring idea for new divers--I wish I had that kind of help when I got started. Could this not be done at the shop level without agency involvement or even with agency guidlines for national uniformity for that matter?

As for my OW class I'm the only one still diving.

BTW I'm not insinuating that you would get involved in agency bashing but I can see where the potential would be high for that to develope similar to what happened in the DIR group. DIR is a good philosophy but apparently some folks got carried away with it from what I read on the net.

Yes , it is possible to start you own agency.It is possible to get insurance and in reality it is possible to find a program developer for your course.I work for a technical institure where programs for trade and industry are developed dailey.

I started to develop my own agency and courses a year and a half ago.

There are lots of other agencys out there.Some such as GUE have an open water course that is very demanding.

Lets face it,the majority of the people are just interested in a c-card. That is reality.

As for working on equipment and compressors there are courses and service manuals available but what if....
If you are working in Cozumel as an instructor or DM it is highly unlikely that you will be touching one of the islands
two compressors,valued in the millions. You will not be captaining a boat. You will be teaching Discover Scuba and doing referals.

It is also common to know that instructors with "day jobs" are better instructors than the instructors that own dive shops and are driven by the dollar and not the quality of education. Yes , I believe that the best instructors are the ones that diving is a true passion for them and are not in it for the money.

Are we not still creating an us vs them attitude when we try to reinvent the system ?? I am PADI trained only up to AOW. I have had no experience with any other organization other than my LDS is associated with NAUI. Again, although the organizations in general have the same goals at heart, (to certify divers ...safely)is it not really the instructors whom actually deal with the public that we should be concerned with?? There are and will always be good and bad instructors. I shouldn't think it would matter if the student has more dives than the instructor, if the instructor has a sound grasp of what they are teaching. You could have a diver with 200 dives and an instructor with 100 dives, who is better ?? Who knows ?? Perhaps PADI shines better in getting more new divers in the water at OW level and another organization does better training at a higher level eg Rescue, AOW etc.

Just some ramblings and musings from north of the 49th. :confused:

Butch

Originally posted by jbd
and agree with some of your thinking. I'm not sure that we as a dive community need another agency especially with a DIR attitude(I'm talking about the bashing kind of thing). I do think you are correct with your mentoring idea for new divers--I wish I had that kind of help when I got started. Could this not be done at the shop level without agency involvement or even with agency guidlines for national uniformity for that matter?

As for my OW class I'm the only one still diving.

BTW I'm not insinuating that you would get involved in agency bashing but I can see where the potential would be high for that to develope similar to what happened in the DIR group. DIR is a good philosophy but apparently some folks got carried away with it from what I read on the net.

The idea would not be so prescriptive as DIR. and could just be run by particular shops as part of an 'executive package' if they wanted to, but it would lose the advantages that some degree of compulsion would bring. The fundamental idea of TIR would be that the Instructor is the man on the scene, and can make a certain number of choices, based on the local conditions. Rather that giving the PADI style step by step guide, If an instructor is given a list of key skills to be mastered before open water, and before certification, he can then juggle things round to suit his class's needs. - ie, letting the 'profesional' instructor actually behave like a professional!

A good example would be that if a course required the student to demonstrate 3 different entry techniques into open water then, rather than the PADI instructor manual saying that Giant stride is done in module 4, seated entry in module 2 etc... the instructor should have the discression to do that when he wants to, and especially in open water, when facilities etc.. allow.

Equally, students should have a pool session without any learning objectives, but to play with different bits of equipment. Familiarity with equipment is something that is missing in newly qualified divers. Why not give them an extra session, where they can try out different styles, or practice techniques or just play to build up confidence. In many OW courses students are rushed through their equipment setup each time, often with instructors and DM's hovering so that everything can be done and the class finished on time. Why not make this into a better defined 'module' or teaching objective. Allmost all instructors that I know have at least one spare BCD, and most stores have more than one style BCD in their rental inventory, let the students see them and have a play in the pool.

The ideas that I have would result in longer courses, with consequentially fewer people going through the OW course, but those that do are more confident, and come back. Just look at the number of newly qualified divers here that have some fundamental questions regarding equipment etcetera. Why don't we (as the instructors / DM's etc..) give them a better education? and a better start to their diving career?

As for the instructor Vs experienced diver, I was certified a DM by a PADI MSDT who had less than 10% of my dives, and almost all of them had been from PADI courses, he had no real experience of just going off diving, and what was entailed in organising a trip offshore to dive. He could organise a perfect OW course at the local inland diving site, and that was the limit of his experience! Yes, as an OW factory he was far better than I would ever be, but for sorting out a dive 2 miles offshore from a 6m RIB? There was no way he had the experience to do it.

Unfortunately, there are quite a large number of instructors that have gone from OW - AOW - Rescue - DM - OWSI without any real experience, and most of their 100 necessary dives done on courses! Then once they get to OWSI, they do OW courses, and don't get out there doing real diving!

For Submariner:-

If you go to your local library or bookshop (certainly in the UK) you will find any number of different diving texts, however, for an open water course, there is no real substitute for proper face to face learning. If CD-ROM based self learning was so good why don't all the *REALLY* good university's just put their courses on CD-ROM and sell it? It isn't the best way of teaching! Whilst writing all the teaching materials would be a mammoth task it isn't unfeasable! (PhD thesis in less than a year of evenings, and that is FAR harder than writing the relevant teaching materials)

Equally, for Liability insurance, who thinks that PADI carries large liability insurance? They don't! they hide behind RSTC guidelines, and make their instructors carry liability insurance. The PADI program follows the national guidelines, and only if the instructor strays from these is there any liability, and it is then the instructors fault. Yes PADI will have some insurance, but the whole system is designed to minimse *their* liability.

On the other hand is the BSAC. Their instructors are covered by the clubs national insurance, and the club falls outside 'recognised industry standards' and their insurance is expensive (in the order of £500,000), but this covers all thei members, and this proce divided by their 75,000 members works out at only £6.60 or so per member on their club membership, a far better deal that the £100 for PADI insurance!.

As for 'Why stay with PADI' - I stayed with them untill I actually realised that they weren't what I wanted, although, they provided what I thought I wanted at the time. Since finishing my DM course I have taught myself a lot of things that are not in the PADI world, through membership of a BSAC club and a FFESSM club. Equally, books like Deeper into Diving (John Lippman) etc.. have improved my knowledge significantly. You only know that you don't know enough, when you have found what you didn't know that you didn't know. After finishing my DM course, I have DM'd on and off for 3 years or so. In that time, I have talked to people trained by / investigated as many agencies that are active here, and haven't found anything that I would be prepared to teach, as I am now firmly convinced that there are major deficiencies in the education of a lot of divers.

Butch, PADI reinvented the system. Several agencies were teaching and certifying divers when PADI first formed. In the beginning, their courses were similar to others. In the 1970's, they reinvented the system and have been fine tuning it since. Their method of change? Remove skills, topics and even required attendance at classroom sessions. To this they've added more marketing and a cookie cutter style production method to move divers through a course quickly. IMHO, PADI's goal is not "to certify divers ...safely", but instead to certify as many divers as possible. Let's face facts, PADI is primarily a marketing not and educational agency. They are excellent at marketing and not very good at educating, IMHO.

"Perhaps PADI shines better in getting more new divers in the water at OW level and another organization does better training at a higher level eg Rescue, AOW etc."

Yes, PADI does shine better in getting more new divers in the water, but not merely at OW. They are excellent at getting more divers in the water at all levels through instructor. I personally, don't believe getting more divers in the water equates with better training. Other agencies have better training, in my opinion, at all levels including OW.

I believe the point of many posters in this thread is they've discovered this about PADI and have decided it does not match their personal philosophy and will go elsewhere to teach. Personally, I feel there are excellent existing agencies available to choose from, but some would rather start their own. I don't understand such a need, but I have no problem with the concept.

WWW™

Back
Top Bottom