Sanilac Shores Preserve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klower

New
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip for the end of July. Does anyone have any information about the Sanilac Shores Preserve in Lake Huron? Any experience with charter operators in the area (I could only find one, Four Fathoms out of Port Sanilac). My back-up plan is Tobermory. Mapquest says it's a 10 hour drive from Detroit, that seems imposible, it's only about 300 miles. Anyone driven it lately?

Thanks in advance,

Klower

Chris Kohl & Steve Harrington both have books that cover the preserve pretty well. You might find them at Huron Scuba down your way.

Regina is an interesting wreck. The Sport is just a fun dive. Northstar is pretty broken up. Mary Alice B is like the Sport, but deeper.

Sorry, I have no info on Four Fathoms charter.

We went with Jim Stayer of Lakeshore Charters & Marine Exploration Inc. I'm not sure if they still run charters, I saw an article in "Alert Diver" about a rescue and a boat named "Sand Dollar" assisted. Jim used to own that boat but the article indicated he was no longer the owner. I don't know if he replaced it with another boat or just sold it. Anyway, here's the contact information I have for him, don't know if it's current:

Lakeshore Charters & Marine Exploration Inc.
4658 S. Lakeshore
Lexington, MI 48450

(810) 359-8660

We really enjoyed diving with him. He and his wife Pat wrote a book called "Shipwrecks of Sanilac" ISBN 0-9627084-1-0 Cris Kohl (from lakesdiver's post) is one of the people mentioned in the acknowledgements.

The book gives a lot of good info about the wrecks in the area including Loran and Lat/Long locations.

Enjoy your trip!
Ber :bunny:

I haven't been to Tobe in a couple years and think it's more like an 8 hour drive from Detroit. It's a slooooow drive mainly on 2 lane roads. If you do go, don't speed while driving through the Indian Reservations - tickets are one of their major sources on income.

Paula

Hey all, I'd have to agree with diverjed on Adventure Scuba. They run a great charter to the Huron wrecks and they have a great shop as well. There is a reason I drive from Rochester to go to their shop as opposed to the others near me.:D It seems that more of my diving buddies are buying their own boats this year (with mine hopefully soon :D) so we don't charter as much anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom