Suggestions for a beginner FL Trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmedeiros

New
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to diving, but a gal pal and I were hoping to plan a winter break trip (end of DEC beginning of JAN) to FL for a few days just so that I can hop back in the water! I would be ever so grateful for a few suggestions! :)

however

- I have never been to FL so need suggestions on some EASY/WARM areas to visit that time of year.
- Inexpensive would be a DEFINITE plus (research assistantships pay for grad school... but precious little else!)

Additionally,
I've only just been certified, so when I say easy I mean really easy, shallow, and completely unintimidating. Under a dozen dives, the last of which was a frightening nighttime 80ft disaster so I'm a bit cautious about getting back in the water again. I have never done anything except shore dives, but i'm always willing to try something new...

Thanks SO much for any info.

If you come to the Ft. Lauderdale area, there are plenty of places to do some easy shore dives. You could do the Erojacks in Dania, Lauderdale by the Seaand Blue Heron Bridge is just an hour away and there are any number of other locations. There are also many great charters that will drop you on the second reef 30-60 ft. The coldest I saw the water get down here last year was 72* often it was warmer.

Ft. Lauderdale has 2-3 miles of reefs 100-300 yards off the beach. great beach diving.. depths are 25ft max. Couldn't be easier diving. Anglin Pier (Lauderdale by the Sea), Dania, Hollywood, Pompano are all great places that offer free diving (assuming you have your gear and tanks) do a shore dive to get your confidence up a little and then maybe toward the end of your trip hop on a boat to finish off your stay---

If you want to only go on boats then go to the Keys. no shore diving there.

You will be diving under Florida winter conditions. That means the weather may not cooperate and, even if it does, it may not match your desires. The winter winds can, and often do, increase the wave action all along the FL coast. Wave height of 4-6 ft is common. The water will be about 72 degr. Land temps, even in the Keys, may be in the 60's. If you go to the Keys, here is an inexpensive place to stay in Key Largo Bay Harbor Lodge. It is a "nothing fancy, just the basics" older place, but well kept up with a lot of trees around it. Apart from the deeper wreck dives, most of the reef dives off Key Largo are shallow (<35 ft) and excellent for beginners.

Here is what you do, IMO. 1. Don;t give up on diving - you will love it. 2. For cheaper airfares. Fly to Ft. Lauderdale airport. 3. Look into getting a rental car off airport property. A lot of places will pick you up at the airport and bring you to their shop. You save at least $50 by doing this. Also look for coupons at BJ's or online. 4. Drive to the Keys. 5. Book with a reputable charter. In Key Largo check out Rainbow Reef Dive Center. Web site is Rainbowreef.us. This is great place for beginners. They give you a free dive guide with every trip. This takes alot of pressure off you to find the boat. Also it saves you in the wallet. Rainbow reef also has two larger boats, it will help you in the winter winds. 6. Now, if you book through Rainbow Reef you can get a reduced rate for hotel rooms. For the money, Ramada is the way to go. It is cheaper then the Holiday Inn and yo can use all of their facilities (pools, bar, restaurants.) 7. For good cheap food try Sharky's - local dive hang out with great shrimp and fish tacos.
Ft. Lauderdale diving is cool but the Keys are laid back with short boat rides and shallow easy dives. Don;t miss Snappers Ledge.

Lauderdaleis awesome for shore diving which is DEFINATELY on the cheap.
Just rents tanks on a daily basis and keep refilling them.
Being shallow dives, you can get in plenty of dives without worrying about DCS.
It'salsoonly about an hour or so to the famous Blue Heron Bridge at Phil Foster park.
Another shore dive with a dive shop nearby for any needs you might have.
Blue Heron Bridge has a window which you SHOULD dive for best vis and slack tide so this dive has to be planned accordingly.
LBTS can be had anytime, day or night.
Give SOAMELT a yell and he can orient you much better.
IMHO, he's the closest I know and have dived with to an expert in So. PBC and Broward areas.
He's a great guy whom I hope to have the pleasure to dive with again.

anything in Key Largo's John Pennekamp park is going to be fairly easy and shallow: the water temps will be reasonable, maybe 70 to 75 degrees. the only downside is that in the winter, marine conditions can be unpredictable and dives do get cancelled. here are a few operators that have shallow dives on their schedules:

Scuba Dive Key Largo, Scuba Dive Florida Keys, Scuba Dive the Keys, Pennekamp State Park

CONCH REPUBLIC DIVERS " COME SEE WHY WE'RE NOT JUST ANOTHER DIVE SHOP"

Florida Keys Diving with Silent World voted #1 dive shop in Florida

I have been out with all three and can recommend them: especially the shallow dive sites for a new diver. Note that none of these send a dive guide or dive master down with you.

If you are going to do a beach dive in Lauderdale, I'd simply recommend that you hook up with someone local. I had about 100 recent dives under my belt, including blue heron bridge, but was happy to go out with someone on my first dive at Lauderdale-by-the-sea. Not that the swim is difficult or anything, it is just nice to have someone show you the interesting stuff and let you know when the time is best to drop after swimming west from the shore. If you are new, a guide or SB friend will give you one less thing to worry about. Force-e scuba
Pompano Beach Scuba Diving Center - Dive store in central Pompano Beach
shops occasionally sponsors a beach dive or you can just ask if anyone on SB would be willing to show you the ropes when you have all your florida dates finalized.

If you only have 12 dives I would definitely recommend going down to the keys and doing boat dives. Beautiful shallow reefs and you would have the opportunity to have a guide with you. If you are shore diving, you will need to find a shop to get tanks and will also need to be hooked up with a buddy (who you don't know). I agree with flying to Ft Lauderdale and renting a car. Easiest way to go. Have a great time and safe diving.

Hi,

In the Winter, off shore diving is usually most dooable in the Keys. If its windy, the whole East coast can quickly become a mess. If its not windy, then you can look forward to some great diving.

Check out NDBC - NWS Forecast for our local forecast. Anything that says "Small Craft Advisory In Effect" and over 20knts out of the East is going to be rough.

You can always call me (305) 395 1194 and Ill give you an honest opinion whether to shore or boat dive based on conditions. Ill gladly dive with you myself if you are a bit apprehensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom