Spearfishing Class in the Gulf yesterday shot nice hogfish!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Carney

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Finally got my latest Spearfishing Class into the Gulf after losing our Sunday 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately 2 of my students couldn't make it on Thursday... oh well that left more fish for the 3 guys that could!

It wasn't flat conditions or fantastic visibility, but they were all strong divers, and they quickly learned to freeshaft some really nice hogfish! Water was about 72*F.

Vis was a hazy 20' in 52' & 62' off Passagrille, so my new shooters had a little trouble seeing the bigger fish at first, but it didn't take long before they were spearing and even stoning some of their fish.

I love seeing new spearfishers having success right off the bat!

My next spearfishing class session at Mac's Clearwater is Tues 11-24 if there is enough interest before Thanksgiving. The dive session will be available in mid December.

Chad

PS Our big Turkey Sale started today and includes many spearguns, shafts, accesories and dive gear.

Attachments

• PB190005 lw.JPG
    PB190005 lw.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 156
  • PB190011 lw.JPG
    PB190011 lw.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 125
  • PB190002 lw.JPG
    PB190002 lw.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 112
  • filleting lw.JPG
    filleting lw.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Sign T Sale lw.JPG
    Sign T Sale lw.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 109
Awesome pics, I bet you guys had a lot of fun doin spearfishing :)

Yeah, fish are in thick right now.

Our visibility was top to bottom right before Hurricane Ida passed through the Gulf of Mexico 2 weeks ago. It's almost back to normal now.

72*F water is real nice for this late in November.

Chad

Last edited:
Chad...Thanks for the trip and classes. You got a great boat, perfect platform for what we were doing. I would highly recommend this class to the silent surfers out there thinking about spearfishing. It really helped me with the basics, and got me some underwater time with an experienced, knowledgable and truly nice guy. Don't hesitate, a couple hundred is well worth the price of admission.

Thanks again Chad.
Dan

Chad...Thanks for the trip and classes. You got a great boat, perfect platform for what we were doing. I would highly recommend this class to the silent surfers out there thinking about spearfishing. It really helped me with the basics, and got me some underwater time with an experienced, knowledgable and truly nice guy. Don't hesitate, a couple hundred is well worth the price of admission.

Thanks again Chad.
Dan

Thank you for taking the course Dan!

Dan's on the far right in both of the first 2 pics.

I enjoy getting students into small semi-private courses like this because it really makes a big difference! I've done a lot of fairly large seminars with lectures and videos
like I do in this course, but there's no question it works better in small tight groups.

And the hands on dive session is far and away the most important part!

The next Spearfishing Course classroom session is planned for Monday evening, Dec 7th, at 7pm at the Clearwater Mac's Sports store.

The course will be the same cost, but I'm breaking it into separate sessions:

$99.95 for the first half, the classroom /video session.

$99.95 for the second half, the 3 tank dive session on my 36' boat.

This way students will pay when they are able to make the next dive date.

Capt Chad

PS... If space is available on dive sessions, I'll be offering it to my past students.

Last edited:
I've been trying my darndest to figure out a way to fly the hubby down to you so that your class could be his Christmas present.... but it's not going to work.

Maybe in April for his birthday???

Sounds good princessp!

Here's Sundays private class with Matt and Lindsey.... notice the perfect conditions in the background!

They shot hogs, mangrove snappers and a nice triggerfish.

Chad

Attachments

• PB290011 lw.JPG
    PB290011 lw.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 88
  • PB290014 lw.JPG
    PB290014 lw.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 81
  • PB290016 lw2.JPG
    PB290016 lw2.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 43
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/