Just got bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keilidh

Reaction score
Here's my story, I hope that everyone avoids the mistakes I've made. I'm a male diver, 29 yrs old, in good health, and usually sensible about my diving. I've been diving since 1999, and currently an AOW with nearly 40 dives.

I did two shore dives on Thursday 23/8/2001, max depth was 15m, with 60 min surface interval. Then I did another two dives on Friday 24/8/2001, max depth was 15m, surface interval was 90 min. On Friday I performed safety stops for both dives (5m/3 min).

I was wearing a skin suit, water temp was 29 degrees (nice and warm), consumed little air, no currents, I was well-hydrated, didn't drink alcohol, and didn't smoke, also got plenty of sleep before Friday diving. However, water entry and exit was a bit tough, since there were some high tides.

I was out of the water at 2:15 pm, my Aladin Air X gave me a 5 hour no fly time. Full de-saturation reading was about 14 hrs.

The divemaster (PADI course director) looked at my computer and said, "I don't like the Aladin Air X, they're too liberal. Be careful with them." I disregarded his advice.

The Aladin Air X cleared the DO NOT FLY at 7 pm. I was at the airport and had an eery feeling, but I had to travel. My flight departed at 7:30 pm (I had to fly), and the descent began at 8:30 pm. I started feeling funny and out-of-breath, and was sweating a bit. I thought that I was being extra-sensitive and decided to ignore the symptoms and "toughen-up". The Oxygen tank was a few meters away from me, but I felt shy about asking the flight crew for O2.

I got back home at 9:30 pm, feeling extremely tired and drained and short of breath. My wife (also an OW diver) called me from another city, and I told her I'm suspecting DCS, she began to freak-out, so I calmed her and told her that if I slept, I'd wake-up feeling ok. All I could think about was getting an O2 bottle from the nearby pharmacy, or calling DAN. But I guess my judgement was impaired, and opted to rest and sleep instead. Looking back, I can't believe my actions on Friday, I made all the wrong decesions while knowing that they were wrong, but still remained passive, and I still don't know why!

During the course of Friday night, I woke up several times, really tired and feeling funny, almost tingly. Its difficult to describe the sensation. I finally woke-up the following day (Saturday 25/8) at 9 am, and my left foot was numb. My little toe was red as though blood was not circulating. My fears had become true, and I called DAN. The DAN doctor told me that this is probably DCS, and she doesn't know of a chamber in the city I was in. Fortunately, I had saved info about chambers in my digital diary, I found one in my city, and called the chamber (at 10 am). The doctor (a diving doctor and a neurosurgeon) instructed me to come immediately to the emergency room in the hospital.

I arrived at 10:15 am, and requested admission, the admission person gave me a hard time, and was not convinced that I needed urgent medical attention (I was standing up, albeit limping). Too drained to argue, after 20 minutes, I saw by coincidence an ER nurse and doctor, and they instructed the admission people to admit me as an emergency patient (11 pm).

Five internal medicine doctors examined me, and my foot was getting worse, half the foot was turning dark-red, and it really hurt. They put me on a stretcher in the emergency room and took chest x-rays, which were clear. I guess they feared a cardiac arrest.

Ironically, the only mono-chamber in the hospital was just occupied by another patient (not DCS). I had to wait until 3 pm before entering the chamber.

I spent 2 hrs with a pressure of 2.5 atm and 100% O2. I felt better, as though blood had nourished by oxygen deprived foot, but all my toes were still purple. I had session #2 on Sunday at 2 am, session #3 at 10 am, and two sessions afterwards. Everyone at the hospital was extra-nice and really cared. I got to be known as "the diver", and the senior consultant lectured his residents about my case!!! It very rare to get DCS in this city!

I'm writing this on Wednesday 29/8 after I had done 5 sessions, my little toe is a pink and slightly numb, and I need additional sessions.

Since this hospital is a public hospital, I did not pay any medical fees. However, the chamber can be used by private patients for $300 per session. The consultant allowed me to resume diving in October 2001, and told me to log this incident in my log book.

So, the lessons learnt are as follows:-

1. Dont trust your computer with no fly times, wait at least 12 hours, regardless. 24 hours is better.
2. Never feel shy in an airplane, request assistance.
3. Keep an O2 tank at home.
4. Keep a list of chambers and their phone numbers wherever you travel. Even if there is no diving in a particular city (like my case).
5. If you have any suspicion, get a chamber session, at least breath pure O2.
6. Call DAN for advice. They understand!
7. Never disregard advice from those who are more experienced than you are. (e.g. the PADI course director)
8. Never be passive when it comes to your own health. Never pretend that you are tough and invincible.

I hope that you learn from my numerous mistakes, and never allow yourselves or anyone else to fall into such traps.

Keilidh,

Glad to hear that things are getting sorted out.

I am amazed that a computer could give you such a short no fly time. I have a Suunto Solution Nitrox and that registered 12 hours no fly for a 5 min dive to 15m to tie a line. My guess is that it has a minimum default of 12hrs. It will at times give no fly times in excess of 24hrs.

Best advice seems to be 24 hrs dry before you fly.

DiverDave.

I am glad everything turned out ok. These are the kind of stories we all need to hear. I think we as divers/people/humans sometimes get into that "I am ok" state of mind. Thanks for posting this.

Brad

Thanks for sharing your story Keilidh. I am glad that you are recovering & that you will still be a diver.
Were you in contact with DAN after you arrived at the hospita? DAN says that sometimes they can help if you meet resistance at the ER.

-kate

This is good info as I am a new diver and was wonderind about air travel after diving so I could plan a trip to Cancun this winter. After reading this I will Take the 24 hour no fly seriously.

Thank you for posting

Keilidh,
Thanks for sharing your story...it has important lessons for all us divers. Glad to know that you are recovering and will be able to dive again in Oct.

First of all, I'm happy you stayed alive.

Than I'd like to find out a bit more about the case-
-do you belong to any risk-groupe that you know of?
-Can you please give the specs of the treatment you went through?
-what kind of airplane did you use? pressurized or none presurized?
-Are you back to completly normal life for the time being?

Some words of advice- alwaise have a diving insurance, than treatment cost will not be a problem (where i come from, every diver is bound by law to have insurance).

From the explanation of the treatment you went through, I assume that the chamber you mentioned is not designed for diving accidents treatment, but for Oxigen treatment (though I might be wrong), as it dosent have double doors. For your information- the best HBO around the red sea is located in Yosef-Tal hospital in eilat (though It might, unfortunately, be tricky for you to get there), and it treats over 200 diving accidents a year(several friends of mine were treated there). It accepts a lot of divers from sinai as well.

P.S-
I take it you are from Saudi Arabia, I'd really like to hear about your diving sites. I am from Israel, and our part of the red sea, due to over-diving, and bad preserving got quite ruined. I know the reefs of Sinai and Jordan are in a much better condition. unfortunately, I cant access Saudi reefs, so I would really like you to tell a little about it.

Thanks to all of you for your concern....

scubakat:

i did not maintain contact with DAN at the ER. I was disappointed that they had a limited chamber database, and I didn't contact them afterwards. However, i am DAN insured.

Liquid:

Thank you for your concern.

I dont think I belong to a risk group (not yet). My treatment was 120 mins pure O2, at 2.5 atm, with 3 x 10min air-breaks. The airplane was pressurized (airbus jetliner). I'm back to normal life, but the hospital gave me a 2-week sick-leave.

The reefs in Saudi are still in acceptable shape, especially the outer-ones (by boat). A lot of people say its the best they've ever seen. I dove in the Caribbean, Maldives and Sharm. If the weather is right, the diving in Saudi can be better. However, if its windy and there are high tides, visibility drops and its no longer fun.

Once again, thanks to all for your kind words.

Final question: was my Aladin Air X to blame for allowing me to fly after 5 hours from the second dive?

Keilid:
Thank you for the details of your case. Later on, if you wouldn't mind, I may ask for some more specific details, maibe make of it an example of a diving accident in an article I will put in a site I intend to open. I think your case is very interesting, and has a very good morale.

I wish I could go see the reefs at the Saudian part of the red sea, but it will take some time I guess, untill possible. I hope you keep it better than us.

About the final question- I'd say- yes and no.
Why yes?
becouse I belive that a standard of 12 minimal hours should be put in any computer, and becouse I belive that this computer uses old models to relay on, while there where far modern ones to use at the time, RGBM is not that new (and untill today only one company uses it!!!).
Why not?
Becouse you alwais make the choice. you were worned about it, and was tought in your course both about minimal time before flight (12 hours) and about never pushing the limits. Flying half an hour after the no-flight is off, after several days of intensive diving is definitly a bit of "limit pushing". Sometimes we just give in to temptation :) I did, several times, but I was lucky.

Well, I hope you'll be able to dive again soon, and will continue to have a lot of fun diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom