Matt Johnston Florida Trip 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Gary

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Back in 2006 Conch Republic Divers hosted Matt Johnston to come down and go scuba diving. Now that in itself is not a big thing, but the fact that Matt has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, confined to a wheel chair and on a ventilator is. He made history November 2006 by being the first person in his condition to ever go scuba diving.

In 2006 Matt was 29 years old and this January he will be turning 33. People in his condition are not expected to live past the age of 30.

I was also able to contact the Today Show who in 2006 came down to document his historic dive. You can see that episode from the link here. Matt Johnston On The Today Show.

Matt made history on that day and as a result the History of Diving Museum in Islamorada put up an exhibit to his remarkable dive. Matt has never seen the exhibit and I’m working on getting him down here for a week in January to see the exhibit, watch the sunset on our boat, maybe get him a swim with the dolphins the Island Dolphin Care, and just hang out.

We're looking at January 10th - 17th, 2010. Matt’s birthday is January 12th. So it’s going to be a big birthday party too. Not sure how many more he has.

Here’s the link to Matt's website.

I’ve set up a fund for Matt at TIB Bank here in Tavernier.
Matt Johnson Florida Fund
C/O TIB Bank
91980 Overseas Hwy
Tavernier, FL 33070
(305)852-9500

All proceeds to the fund will be used to get Matt here. We’re going to need around $5000 to get him down, provide lodging, transportation, and some activities while here.

Also Frank of the M/V Spree and myself will be cutting our hair to donate it to Locks Of Love and taking pledges per inch of hair we donate. This money will also got to Matt's fund. More to come or go on this.

Anyway for those that know Matt know he’s a great guy and if any of you could help fund his trip, it would be very much appreciated. When I think I have problems....well I don’t.

Good Diving,

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-11-21 at 7.34.06 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-11-21 at 7.34.06 AM.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 122
Thanks for posting this.

Having spent time with Matt, I can say that I can't think of someone more deserving. Matt is inspirational. I hope that SB members will do what they can to help out.

Hey Gang. I just spoke to Matt, and already $900 has been raised. Only $4100 to go!

You can donate with a credit card by clicking on the link on this page.

Matt's 2010 Florida Trip

After what Brenda did for my wife on our last trip to the keys by arranging to have the big boat go out with 6 divers because of Denise's (my wife) wheelchair and the courtesy shown by Capt Jim and the mate whose name I can't recall now now there's no way I could not help. Hell it's only plastic money anyway! Here's my $50.

BTW MERRY CHRISTMAS MATT!! and Happy Thanksgiving!! to all!

Just an update on Matt's Situation. The donations are up to $1905.00 - So - Keep em coming

You can also donate at this link. Matt's 2010 Florida Trip

With much appreciation!

Sincerely,

Matt

Just found out that I cannot get enough time off to get down to the Keys during that time! That is the bad thing about working in a hospital...ugh!

I do hope that all goes well, and I have passed the word around to get you to your goal!

Carolyn:shark2:

Hi guys, we're already at $2,900.00. The goal is $5,000.00. I would be more than grateful for any donations. Every amount helps.

Sincerely Matt, safe diving:confined:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom