Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I failed.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I took the course before it was pass/fail

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since DIR-F was, until very recently, an experience course only, how do you define "pass or fail." Technically, I didn't pass, fail, or conditionally pass, I just took the course and learned quite a bit about diving.

agstreet once bubbled...
Since DIR-F was, until very recently, an experience course only, how do you define "pass or fail." Technically, I didn't pass, fail, or conditionally pass, I just took the course and learned quite a bit about diving.
I took it before it was pass/fail too and I am not voting because I have no idea if I would have passed or not (even though I doubt it :) ).

EDIT: Now we can vote since the poll was modified..

under the new system. June 6-8 in Kingston, Ontario with D. MacKay

I passed as did my other two classmates for that course

With only 3 people, we had all the attention that we needed and progressed to Dive 4 quite nicely - it was actually amazing to see the transformation of three disorganized individuals with varying degree of skills into a working team by the end of dive 4 - it was not pretty, but we did it

Vlada

I passed, but i took the class with 6 others and i think only one other guy pass, everyone else failed.

No one in my group passed - 5 of us. Granted provisional passes, but that just says to me "Come back when you have your $hit together - which none of us did....

SS

What's a provisional pass, and what is a failure? Is there a difference? Can someone who provisionally passed go onto other tech courses?

I passed.

However, I was already competent in the required skills and had been practicing for a long time. (I took the class because it is required for later GUE classes now...Cave 1/Tech 1) So, I did not have any of the problems that someone with no knowledge of what is expected would.

If you have not practiced these skills prior to attending class, you WILL have problems. If you practice hard before taking the class, you should be fine.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
I If you have not practiced these skills prior to attending class, you WILL have problems. If you practice hard before taking the class, you should be fine.

What are some of the skills you have to practice?

jiveturkey,

Great bouyancy control, even while multitasking (Air share, no mask, whatever)
Correct Horizontal/Feet up position in water
Frog Kick
Modified Frog Kick
Modified Flutter Kick
Backwards Kick (Tough to do at first...they gave me some good pointers in the class that made it even easier)
Helicopter Turns
Air Sharing
Become familiar with hitting the D-Rings and gear in general
Shooting a lift bag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom