suggestionis on padi dive shop in nyc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can not personley reccomend one but you can go to PADI.com and look under the shops/resorts and find them, if you are interested in PADI.

we went with pan aqua and it was okay for the class. of course they made us buy some gear that we would not have bought had we been more experienced and at prices that were far higher than at the other LDS in new york - leisure pro.

Their not PADI but try
Village Divers
(212) 780-0879
125 East 4th Street

For OW they teach SSI. The instructors are very good. And they and their customers are a lot of fun.

URL: http://www.villagedivers.com/

Check out George Horn at Scuba Divine in Brooklyn. Super guy and a knowledgeable diver. Dunno if he does PADI but whatever he does, he's the man. If you want to make serious points with the teacher, feed him garlic shrimp. He can put them away like there's no tomorrow.

JohnF

They are a really good shop to deal with. The class schedule is flexible. They run classes all over town under schedules that can fit into anyone's busy life. The instructors I have dealt with from the shop (granted I haven't had contact with all of them) all know their stuff.

It's true that they require you to have a mask, snorkel and pair of fins in order to take the class but they don't FORCE anyone to buy these things from them. Your instructor won't look at you sideways if you show up on the first day of class with gear you bought at Campmor or (heavens forfend!) Leisurepro. (Which is NOT really an LDS, despite what an earlier poster said. They don't offer manufacturer's warranties, useful advice on gear purchases, or any type of training. THey just move mercahdise. But I digress.)

Gear is cheaper at Leisurepro, but buying at Panaqua DOES have it's advantages. If you buy your fins from Panaqua and find out after your first pool session that you really, really hate them, Panaqua will allow you to trade them in for another pair. Leisurepro, on the other hand, will not take returns on anything that has been in the water. I'm sitting on a pair of Force Fin Pros, size XXL, for this reason. If you buy at Leisurepro you might end up buying one or more items twice, or just living with an item that you really can't stand.

I'm not a Panaqua employee. I don't get any brownie points for referring people to them. I didn't even buy my major gear items from them. But I've dealt with all of the major scuba suppliers in Manhattan in one way or another. I trust Panaqua to be straight with me. I can't say that about all of the shops in the area.

If you're interested in investigating their class schedule go to www.panaqua.com.

One word of advice, do your homework before you go shopping for gear. Use the available online resources to get an idea of what might suit you. Don't purchase gear on impulse. MAKE SURE YOUR MASK AND FINS FIT. And don't spend too much on a snorkel. At the end of the day it's just a plastic tube that you will hardly ever use.

....I have to confirm something with someone from my dive club. We meet tomorrow night.

I was in both of Seahorse Divers Mantahttan stores over a year ago. They were both small shops with a smattering of gear displayed. I bought a Zeagle dive bag from the East side store. It has held up fairly well.

I was under the impression that the shops had closed last year. I want to check and be sure I am not confusing them with another operation.

jseamless once bubbled...
i appreciate the response. have you heard anything about sea horse divers?

Back
Top Bottom