Stainless or Alum BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank B.

Registered
Reaction score
Am looking at getting a BP but am not sure whether or not to get stainless or aluminum. Most of my diving is in open water using a wetsuit. Any suggestions?

What size and kind of tank are you using and how much weight do you normally wear?

Provide more information, such as whether it's open water in 45F or 80F!

Seriously, your main consideration in deciding between steel or aluminum is your weighting requirements. The normal steel backplate is around 6lb, and aluminum is 2lb - do you need the extra 4lb of weight? Do you need more? Is a heavier 9lb or even 12lb steel backplate required?

A general rule of thumb for single tank diving is cold water = steel, warm water = aluminum. I used a steel 6lb backplate on my three dives in warm water that I've done using a backplate, and steel wasn't a problem - just meant I had less ditchable weight.

So figure out how much weight you usually dive, and make a decision based on that. If changing from aluminum to steel tanks is an option, figure that into your calculations.

Well, that is kind of the problem as I want as much versatility as posible. I use either an AL80 or an LP Steel 72 as a tank.

When wearing the 7mm wetsuit and steel tank I only need about 8 pounds of weight (which if wearing the Steel BP would leave almost no ditchable weight and am not sure how good that would be). My guess is from a weight standpoint I am better with Al. Any problems with corrosion or wear on the aluminum?

I have had no problem with corrosion with my AL bp. Just like any gear, rinse it well after use in salt water.

Frank B. once bubbled...

When wearing the 7mm wetsuit and steel tank I only need about 8 pounds of weight (which if wearing the Steel BP would leave almost no ditchable weight and am not sure how good that would be). My guess is from a weight standpoint I am better with Al. Any problems with corrosion or wear on the aluminum?

You must be diving fresh water if you are only using 8lbs of weight with a 7mm wetsuit and a steel tank. It sounds like the aluminum bp would be the best for you as it will allow you to retain some ditchable weight.

Am diving in salt water, Southern California. The steel tank is about -10 (when full) and I weigh about 185-190.

Also, based on what I have read, the brand of backplate, Halcyon, OMS, Fred T's, is not making a big difference in terms of feel or performance (cost maybe).

Frank B. once bubbled...
Am diving in salt water, Southern California. The steel tank is about -10 (when full) and I weigh about 185-190.

Also, based on what I have read, the brand of backplate, Halcyon, OMS, Fred T's, is not making a big difference in terms of feel or performance (cost maybe).

I think fred uses a higher quality aluminum that is less prone to corrosion. If i remember right the halcyon is coated with something. I might be wrong on both accounts though :confused:

Actually i wear 8lbs on my belt too. I just wont mention my fredt heavy BP, channel weight, and 2pc STA :D My excuse is that i dive a drysuit :eek:ut:

I'm about your same size. I use 10-12 lbs with a 7mm, alum 80 in freshwater (with my old bc that is). I haven't used my new setup yet so I may need less weight with it. I chose an aluminum fredt bp with the heavy STA. That gives me about 6 or 7 lbs of weight so I still have a little on my waist. If I choose to go with heavy doubles, I won't be nose heavy because I'll only use the aluminum bp. You said you wanted flexibility so thats an option. If you travel, the aluminum bp is also better for that. I think the only folks that really need a heavy bp are those that require a whole lot of weight which you don't seem to need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom