SEI AOW w/ JimLap course review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrybosome

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all,

I took AOW last month with Jim Lapenta (Jimlap) in Pittsburgh and West Virgina, so I thought I'd write up a description of the course. I meant to get around to this earlier but things have been busy with work and family.

I went with Jim after reading many of his posts here and on TDS; they conveyed a sense of how interested he is in educational standards. In particular I was struck by a remark of his about how his class was not a guaranteed pass which appealed to me. I thought my OW was very well conducted but...not rigorous or intentionally difficult. So rather than the one hour drive to Dutch I drove the six hours out to Pittsburgh hoping to be challenged.

The classroom portion was conducted in Jim's living room and I was the only student, so we went back and forth all day with him answering my questions on everything from how to use a reel to how to plan dives. There were two major parts, the
'what is advanced diving' part and the 'what are the skills and how do
we do them on these dives' part.

'What is advanced Diving' framed it's answer as dives that pose additional risk from gas usage, N2 exposure, cold, currents, navigation, low vis, or require better than average buoyancy control. The morning was spent discussing different hazards of this sort and how to mitigate them.

The afternoon portion of the class consisted of going over in detail the skills that were going to be tested on the dives over the next two days. Jim answered my questions, and I had a lot of them, because I hadn't done most of these things before. Rather than list that here, I'll go over the dives we did.

I would say that there were two themes to the dives: buddy skills and task loading. Jim emphasized very close buddy contact at all times, much closer than I experienced in OW or in my recreational dives. The theory being, that if you're using the buddy system, make sure it will actually work.

Stage bottles are a great tool for creating task loading.

Day 1 - Mt Storm Lake, WV

Dive 1 - advanced skills dive

Shallow dive covering a mix of skills done while maintaining buoyancy
and trim with a visual reference (nearby platform). Mask removal/replacement/clearing. Reg removal/retrieval. Clipping into and out of a stage bottle. Breathing off of stage bottle. Observed shooting a bag from the platform.

Dive 2 - navigation dive

Using a platform as a base did a straight line and reciprocal course to
measure current. Used this to plan an accurate square pattern.
Performed the square pattern leaving stakes at two turn points.
Repeated square pattern to retrieve stakes. Performed a triangular
pattern with compass and natural reference points.

Dive 3 - night dive

Using lights as a signaling device. Followed a line without lights (reminded me of the times I went dry caving).

Day 2- Mt Storm Lake, WV

Dive 4 - Deep dive
Descended to a 50' platform and unclipped from stage bottle, securing it
to platform. Followed a line from the 50' down the wall to the 90'
platform. Secured a line to the 90' platform and descended to the lake
bottom at 107'. Followed the line back to the 90' platform and
performed some arithmetic problems as a measurement for narcosis.
Surprise OOA at 90' platform and shared air while ascending to the 50'
platform. Clipped into the stage bottles, opened their valves and ended
the air sharing. Breathed from the stage bottle for the remainder of
the dive. Did 1 min simulated deep stops at 50', 40', and 30'. 3 min @ 20' amd 1 @ 13'.

Dive 5 - Search and recovery

Performed a semicircular search pattern on a reel tied in to a cinder
block to locate a stake. Followed line back to cinder block. Used a
lift bag to make the block neutrally buoyant and swam it to another
platform at the same depth. Swam the block to the shore entry while
using the bag to keep it neutral.

Dive 6 - Buddy skills/assist dive

Returned cinder block to 25' while keeping it neutral. OOA and shared
air ascent. Unconscious diver rescue from 25'. Mask off 75' swims
between platforms as guide and guided (following line). Loss of
buoyancy assisted ascent.

Despite silting the crap out of the place on the deep dive, I passed. Am I an advanced diver? No, but I have a much better idea of what I don't know, what's hard for me, and how to work on it. Thanks Jim.

Did I mention it was 28 F (air temp) and snowed the whole time? Or that the lake was 75F? See the pics below.

Cheers,

Tim

oops...having some trouble with pics

Sounds like the beginnings of a solid local diver. Willow Springs is open all year, so is Bainbridge. Don't let all that good stuff go to waste. Keep sharp all winter, PM me if you want to hook up in the off off season. We like to start a fire in Willow's dive shack and knock off a few dives during the winter months. Jersey boats start around April. Hope to see you on the open ocean. It's all about the ocean...

You did well Tim. Even with the BC issues that we had to correct. You also did a nice job yourself shooting the bag at the end of the Nav dive. I will say that the diver who came out to take the class and got in the water Saturday morning was not the one who got out Sunday afternoon. I did not have to look to see where he was by the time we did the night dive, knew where you;d be at 90 feet, and the OOA drill was smooth and precise. Doing an air share at 90 with a little bit of narcosis thrown in is not the same as one at 20 feet on the platform. Nicely done. Just wish the weather had been a little better. The next weekend it was nearly 70 degrees and sunny! The best part was by Sunday afternoon no matter where we swam it was as clear behind us as it was in front. as far as deep went there's 4-6 feet of fluffy loose silt down there. It could have been MUCH worse!

Great write up Tim :)

... no better feeling than to do well (or even just pass) for someone who stresses you and who's opinion you value and carries weight behind it

70 degrees? Above the water? I really picked the wrong weekend. Once I was out on a backpacking trip for the weekend in February in New Hampshire and that's still the coldest I've ever been, but it was dry at least. Those surface intervals were brutal, it was actually more fun in my silt cloud at 105'.

That's the idea! I'll look up Willow Springs, pm me if you're going in Jan.

Willow is under new owners, website not re-done yet. Lots of improvements.

My buddy and I will be diving in Jan, Feb, Mar. -Will do, you will be surprised at how many divers show up. Expect a PM in Jan....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom