Where's the sin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

curtmdavis

Registered
Reaction score
I most recently opened a post in the general tech diving section as to whether or not I should take a DIR-F course. I am sure that I will after reading some of the replies left by the obviously more intelligent DIR followers.
http://www.scubaboard.com/t31262/s.html
My question, although I am sure it will be answered by the time I have finished said course is, since the OMS IQ is little more than a BPW with a little cushion for sniveling wienies like my self, where is the sin in it? If it is being used with a BP installed inside the pocket, the only true difference I can se other than some padding for panty wearing individuals such as my self is the cursed “FASTEX” buckles. (A debate, which has been beaten to death, without a doubt.) While I’m sure this topic has also been ridden like an old horse, please let me know your HONEST personal feelings about it, I mean is it really that bad? By the way, I have supported my own wait from the deadly “FASTEX” buckle without failure. (Children do not attempt this at home with out your wife’s nagging supervision.)

FASTEX is a trademark of Taiwan

There's lots of padding which maens bulk and maybe buoyancy. There are unnecessary D-rings, and unnecessary sternum strap, unnecessary buckles. It's not as configurable as a standard harness and it won't fit as snugly. That's the way I see it, at least.

Have you tried a BP with a standard harness? It's really quite comfortable.

I'm not DIR, although I do dive a BP/Wing. My problem with fastex buckles?

Even aside from in the water - conduct this simple test.

Lay down a nylon belt with stainless steel buckle, beside an OMS harness with a fastex buckle.

From 18 inches, drop an LP104 on both buckles.

Now dive.

Any questions?

(And by the way - yes, I have had a fastex buckle break on me. It wasn't on dive equipment, but I was walking through an airport and my garment bag let loose.)

Boogie711 once bubbled...
And by the way - yes, I have had a fastex buckle break on me. It wasn't on dive equipment, but I was walking through an airport and my garment bag let loose.
Same here. I'd be happy to mail it to anyone who claims they don't break, but I think I tossed it.

It was holding my laptop, and fortunately the guy behind me saw it let go and caught it.

We had time for a beer together before our flights.

It's not a sin, just not the best solution as has been detailed by previous posts.

Minimialistic, one piece webbing, no quick disconnects, only 5 d rings etc. are all important.

Unfortunately a lot of manufacturers sell or promote BC that give good surface comfort but sacrifice diving safety and functionality in the water where it matters most.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
Even aside from in the water - conduct this simple test.

Lay down a nylon belt with stainless steel buckle, beside an OMS harness with a fastex buckle.

From 18 inches, drop an LP104 on both buckles.

Now dive.

Any questions?
What was the result of this test on your reg and mask?

Just a bit of logic about something illogical...

If your instructor has a thing against OMS... don't dive it! Why put yourself through the constant angst of diving a "BC non grata" with that instructor? You will distract him from what is really important... your skills!

Padding... a non-issue really since it's not a failure point. I am sure they will have you drop a tank on this as well just to make a point.

Fastek buckles- another hot point that gets more play time than it deserves. You either are dead set against them, or think the people who are so dead set against are WAY over-reacting. No one has ever died or been injured by a fastek buckle failure.

Sternum Straps, et al... These items will onbviously NOT lead to your death in the water, but please don't try to make that point. You would be best to get the official uniform and be done with it. You really only need the back plate, as the wings from your OMS will fit on that fine. Look up Fred-T for the best design and manufacture of plates in the world. His stamped D-Rings are beyond awesome.

For a bit of fun... show up with the wings of death attached to your backplate that has been threaded with pink strapping. Just a thought.

Not funny, and yes people have died as a result of quick release buckles. You can get the DAN accident report as well as other publications and you will see that although thank god it is not a huge amount, they do happen. Most of these have been because tech divers have been doing gas switches and moving stage/deco bottles and inadvertently disconnected a fastner. When the weight is gone you go to the surface and with a mandatory deco obligation that has many times let to a fatality.

What wing, bp etc you decide on is up to you, but do the research and make your selection based upon an educated choice. In the research you will see an obvious trend to the Halcyon systems. That is also for good reason. It works. Plain and simple

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
Not funny, and yes people have died as a result of quick release buckles. You can get the DAN accident report as well as other publications and you will see that although thank god it is not a huge amount, they do happen. Most of these have been because tech divers have been doing gas switches and moving stage/deco bottles and inadvertently disconnected a fastner. When the weight is gone you go to the surface and with a mandatory deco obligation that has many times let to a fatality.
Since I can't find anything like this in DAN accident report, what are those "other publications"?

Are you talking about people connecting either stage bottles or weight belts with fastex? Or are you saying that the whole BP/wings/doubles unit falls off the diver?

it is up to YOU, DIR Tec Diver to provide us with an example... just one to prove us wrong. Unfortunately, it does not exist and those that have told you otherwise are deceiving you.

Urban legend #34251: Fastek buckle leads to diver death...

"There we was on the Doria huntin' for plates when all o' ma partner's fastek buckles got broke from a tank that was dropped from 18"!!! Weeeaaaaaaaaallll doggies, he commenced to the surface like a shootin' star, only backards! Of course he died afore he hit the surface, and then we found that someone harvested his kidneys on the way up too!"

Back
Top Bottom