$2k HID lights - what is so magical about them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mtbr

Contributor
Reaction score
How much should those $2k HID light really worth?

I am new to Tech - recently passed my GUE recreational fundy. As I'm shopping for gear (dry suit and light), I come to realize Tech diving is not cheap.

Other than a precision regulator and dive computer, I can not see how the industry command such a high premium. My bp/w cost more than a new Atomic regulator and it's just webbing, steel, and urethane bladder.

I know R&D cost money, but how much of this is driven by Marketing hype?

Low production runs mean high costs. Limited distribution chains mean high prices, with a doubling of the price at each step in the chain. Multiply by two for anything that is for "diving" and again by two for anything that is "Tech."

Many things are way over priced, what until you get trimix fills.

You can get a very nice light for under $1000. Be patient.

Every time I think about my diving costs I compare it to the money my brother spends on hot rods or how much my buddy spends on guns.

This sport isn't all that bad!

With the advancements being made in the LED and other lamp technologies, HID will soon be a memory. HID is way overpriced, even in the general consumer market. Add diving and tech diving to the equation and the costs goes off the charts.

With the advancements being made in the LED and other lamp technologies, HID will soon be a memory. HID is way overpriced, even in the general consumer market. Add diving and tech diving to the equation and the costs goes off the charts.

hummm.... so far LED's haven't been any cheaper. Don't hold your breath!

That's what we keep hearing, but have yet to see. LED technology has improved by leaps and bounds, but still doesn't come close to HID in a Watt to Lumen comparison. All the LED canister lights I've used were far too diffuse. They need a better way to focus the beam on LED than with optical culmination.

Every sport/ hobby has it's entry fee. I used to skydive and it cost $4000 for gear and another $1500.00 for instruction. I always tell folks they can buy gear and get certified and maybe throw in a trip cheaper than you can buy a jet ski.
Tech of course will be more expensive than rec but the rewards are different.
Not saying that you are but if you always look at the cost it's going to bother you.
If at some point I can't afford to dive I have a back up plan hobby in the waiting and will use dive gear to finance it.
Get all you can out of the sport. A lot of people are exiting the sport now which can lead to some good deals for you on somec great gear.

I am new to Tech - recently passed my GUE recreational fundy. As I'm shopping for gear (dry suit and light), I come to realize Tech diving is not cheap.

Here's a piece of advice: don't get into tech diving to save money!

:eyebrow:

But seriously, no need to spend $2,000 on a light. Probably the best light out there right now is the Light Monkey (née Salvo) 21w Havoc HID, which can be had for between $1,100 and $1,450, depending on which battery you get.

Havoc HID Lights at www.DiveSeekers.com

10.105.221-450.jpg

LM-HAVOC-3.jpg

LM-HAVOC-5.jpg

I"m also starting my journey into tech diving and I started with a 12 watt Led from Salvo. The first one died 20 minutes into the first dive. The second one died 16 minutes into it's first dive.

The dive shop I purchased this from gave me a full credit toward the 21 watt HID Havoc I now own. It almost boils water. It's what I wanted in the first place but talked myself out of. I should have bought it to begin with.

Welcome to the $ 1K flash light club. All who don't understand need not apply. :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom