Diving in Munising Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitten Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
My 13 year old son James and I have recently been certified here in Jackson, Michigan. Now we are planning our first dive trip with our LDS. It just so happens this trip is to Munising, Michigan with Peter Lindquist Diving. I am concerned that my son at 5'3" and a robust 103 lbs. out of the shower is going to have trouble staying warm. On our 4th check-out dive in a local lake he was quite chilled in 65-68 degree water. He was wearing a 2 piece farmer John with jacket 7 mill suit, he did not have on a hood though.

What kind of water temps can we expect for Lake Superior for the first week of August? Will my son need to dive dry? The LDS says we should be just fine diving wet. I know I will be okay as I will typically start sweating looking at my dive gear, but what is the concensus on junior?

If you stick to the shallower stuff, you should be OK.
The +100' dives will compress the wetsuits down so you'll be chilly in the 15 minutes or so you'll be in the water.
A Hood is going to make a lot of difference, and I suggest adding a hooded vest to maximize the warmth.

I just dove Munising last weekend. Temps on the Smith-Moore and the Selvick were around 40F.

I agree with Bob3. He's GOT to have a hood, at least. The hooded vest would certainly add an extra measure of warmth to his torso.

Fun diving, though, and Pete is the best. Tell him Rick & Sandy said hi, eh?

Even in August you can get some VERY balmy water temps in Munising. I recommend getting him into a 1 piece 7mm. The farmer john allows much more water transfer in the suit than the 1 piece. Wearing a hood will make a HUGE difference as well.

I dove Lake MI last weekend and our first dive was 39 degrees @ 70 ffw - a bit "brisk" in a wetsuit but bareable.

Have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom