Does Nitrox make you feel better? (split from Nitrox on OW course)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Cave Diver:
The discussion about the effects of how Nitrox makes you feel has been split off from this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/313461-nitrox-ow-course.html

As a reminder gentleman, this is a discussion board. Lets try to keep the discussion civil without trolling and arguing.

Fact: Nitrox is cheap and certainly will do no harm to the student in a teaching environment. It only becomes dangerous at depths far below any open water student would be going.

But where does it stop?

Great the divers where using Nitrox, But what percentage?? 22% to 99% Give a diver doing a open water course a 32% mix sure they will come out of the water feeling better than 21%... however give them a 70% mix and they come out with a rocket under their ass and i assure you the 70% nitrox fill is not cheap.

To say that its only dangerous at depths is kind of fool harded, when you are saying that to the uneducated masses.

People need to understand the relations of there mix to the MOD that comes with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great the divers where using Nitrox, But what percentage?? 22% to 99% Give a diver doing a open water course a 32% mix sure they will come out of the water feeling better than 21%... however give them a 70% mix and they come out with a rocket under their ass

The "feel good after diving" effects of Nitrox is an unproven theory.

Personally I dont feel any noticable difference after diving nitrox vs air. Theres other benefits that Ill gladly take advantage of instead though :)

Personally I dont feel any noticable difference after diving nitrox vs air. Theres other benefits that Ill gladly take advantage of instead though :)

Maybe not using 1 mix as your only gas. But i know i can do the same hour long dive 100 times and then do it on a 32% and then jump to a 50% on the way back and i come out of the water feeling 10 years yonger than if i had done it all on 21%.

Apparently you have not dove nitrox...

Maybe not using 1 mix as your only gas. But i know i can do the same hour long dive 100 times and then do it on a 32% and then jump to a 50% on the way back and i come out of the water feeling 10 years yonger than if i had done it all on 21%.

A bit outside the borders for the basic scuba discussion thread Mike, but I agree. As long as the PPO2 doesn't collapse the alveoli in my lungs, detach my retina or cause a seizure, I'm up for hypertoxic O2. Makes a guy feel years younger! LOL :)

Yes, and cancer has been cured with sugar tablets and numerous maladies have been effectively treated by sticking needles in a person's body, and by utilizing the services of "gods and spirits".

Don't underestimate the placebo effect.

Yes, and cancer has been cured with sugar tablets and numerous maladies have been effectively treated by sticking needles in a person's body, and by utilizing the services of "gods and spirits".

Don't underestimate the placebo effect.

Just because something has not been "Proven" does not mean it does not work.

I can tell you personally i know for a fact, and we are not talking a Pacebo effect.. that i have done dives i have done many times over and when do the same dives on a higher 02 mix i clearly feel better.

I mean if you have something to disprove how i and many others feel. By all means post it and i will give it a read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom