scuba job info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
looking for advice for any type of jobs a diver can preform with open water cert, i live in nashville tennessee,, im new to the dive world so i was hoping someone could point me in the riht direction,,thaks,,,josh

Other than working the register at a retail op, There aren't that many jobs you are qualified to do with only an OW cert. Just working the register divers of all certs will be asking questions about all topics rec/tec diving, So there is a lot to learn.

Most people working in the industry are DM's at the very least. My advice to you is, If you really want to work in the Scuba industry, Spend as much time at your LDS as you can and volunteer to help out in any area that they feel you can do. Keep your eyes and ears open and learn as much as you can and Continue your education. Some LDS will trade education for some hard labor!
Good luck!

On the other hand.... (there are five fingers)

In terms of advancing in the SCUBA Instructional world, Rich is absolutely right. But~ there are other ways to make money with SCUBA gear.

Understand this: many commercial applications require you to be insured, and that will likely require experience and certifications of all sorts. Not all job opportunities have this requirement, in fact- for many years men have worked underwater with no certifications whatsoever. Imagine that!

You are also limited in terms of safety, not only by the insurance indemnification issue, but also in terms of empirical safety skills- you're new at this, so you don't know how much trouble you are exposing yourself to... very innocently.

All that aside- what can you do? You did see the recent "Logging Reality" shows on TV? On one extreme example of how not to make money while diving, the good old boys got their c-cards and jumped into the river and started wrasslin' with waterlogged timbers... in current. Neither a c-card or IQ was required. See AX Men at http://www.history.com/content/axmen/meet-the-loggers/s-s-aqua-logging

You can pick golf balls or clean yacht hulls, maybe even the bottom of a pool. All of these seemingly simple activities require low-level, yet specialized skills. And yes- a clever fellow could croak himself even doing this.

It all boils down to this: most good money gigs in industrial/commercial diving require specialized courses and training, documents demonstrating eligibility for certification by their insurers, the usual legal stuff. Jobs like this are tough, for the young and very fit, and really wear on your body- but for a while, they do pay well.

Nuclear Plants will employ "jump divers". They will pay you for 6 months where you will be certified to dive and then for the next 170 days you will repeat a training drill for eight hours a day. At the end of that training, you will plop into a pool of glowing warm water and do a three minute dive (to fix some widget or the other) whereupon you will collect your paycheck. Adios, we'll see you every 6 months for the next five years for your free chest x-ray.

HOW TO BECOME WEALTHY THROUGH THE DIVING INDUSTRY:
As far as long term, lifetime occupations in the underwater world, ScubaRich states the obvious: get into the ladder of diver education. Here's my advice: Open your own dive shop and cater to wealthy young socialites. When one comes along that isn't a total pita, check her bank account and then marry her. This works.

Swabbing decks on a dive boat???--maybe??:)....In reality where you live(land locked), not much IMO, maybe working a dive store register or something--but again IMO not much....I personally know 5 instructors of which only 2 are making any money from diving---the other 3 'got out' & are like you & I ie diving for the pure pleasure of it..........Of course, there's always that once in a lifetime possible position openeng.....

If you want to make a million dollars using an OW C-card its easy!!

Just start with 2 million.

Ok seriously its very difficult to make money at something that others enjoy so much they will do it for free. I'm sure you see a lot of music types that are playing for almost nothing because the enjoy it so much. There are some that make money at it but far more that do it for free.

Just my 500psi.

looking for advice for any type of jobs a diver can preform with open water cert, i live in nashville tennessee,, im new to the dive world so i was hoping someone could point me in the riht direction,,thaks,,,josh

Sorry Josh, the chances are grim. Enroll in a commercial diving course or go through the training ladder and take a number.

hey thanks so much for all of your responses,, its comforting to know this site has some knowledgeable kind members,,, i have taking all your reply's into account ,, thanks again be safe,,,josh

I've heard some divers make a little extra money by retrieving objects that boaters lose in the water, usually close to shore/by the boat launch. I was told one guy actually retrieved an outboard motor that wasn't attached properly (lol). I think it took a fairly large lift bag.

I would do stuff like that but probably would only charge as much as it cost to rent the gear anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom