Using a buddy line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiofan777

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My 14 yr old and I have only recently started diving and passed our OW with padi and I know more than anyone I have a whole lot to learn and then some.However,I have been thinking about getting a 3m leash to keep us close to each other when we dive.Now I know the idea of having a leash connecting buddies might be like parent/toddler classes but what the hell.You'll get used to it, never be to far away from your buddy and you'll have to communicate with each other that bit more because you'll always be in each others face.

My 14 yr old and I have only recently started diving and passed our OW with padi and I know more than anyone I have a whole lot to learn and then some.However,I have been thinking about getting a 3m leash to keep us close to each other when we dive.Now I know the idea of having a leash connecting buddies might be like parent/toddler classes but what the hell.You'll get used to it, never be to far away from your buddy and you'll have to communicate with each other that bit more because you'll always be in each others face.

Leashing yourself to your buddy is really not good or safe idea. Please don't do it.

Welcome to SB, stiofan777.

That's an interesting question. It's not exactly the point fo this Thread, but what the hell..

Stiofan, I commend you for recognizing the importance of staying close to your buddy when you are diving. However, I would urge you to NOT use a leash system for staying close to your son during dives.

Here are a few of the reasons:

1) Good buddymanship and teamwork are enough to keep divers together. No leashes are necessary

2) A leash might not be very safe. Entanglement?

3) Absolutely no one dives with a leash. Some divers might wonder about you if they saw the leash.

4) Your son might not be real happy with the idea. BTW, who would wear the leash, you or your son?

Just practice good buddymanship. Welcome to diving.

The use of a buddy line (or even holding hands/touch-contact) is perfectly ok if you want to use one, but... there's a safe way to use one, and a not-so-safe way.
The safe way is to hold one end of the line in your hand, and have your buddy hold the other end in his. The line should be no more than an arm's width (5 - 6 ft / 1½-2M) in length, and should never be clipped off or tied to either buddy.
Normally a buddy line is only used in very low visibility, so your scenario - keeping track of your 14 year old - doesn't exactly fit... i.e. there's a better way...
Without getting into a long parent-child diving relationship diatribe here, the easiest way to handle your particular situation is to brief the dive well and make your 14 year old the leader.
:)
Rick

I suspect the leash will be more of an inconvenience than it is worth. On a swim through where divers go through single file, the leash will get in the way. When you are around coral, it can possibly snag, and kill, the coral.

Can I recommend paying attention to each other and carry a pencil/slate?

Stiofan,
Rick is absolutely spot on with his advice. Holding a line is the safest way. If you are physically attached to one another underwater you could wind up in a situation where you trap yourselves. Things like this, though extremely rare have happened in the past. My wife and I carry Jon Lines by Dive Rite. These are 6 foot line which come in a case which are attached to our BC's. These may be used an emergent surface situation, like strong current and the boat is no where in sight. Attaching to one another in this case is prudent, underwater could wind up costly. Just my 2 cents.

Thakns everyone for your advice and I will leave this idea on the back burner for for a while.When I done Discover Scuba in Ibiza visibilty was good but since getting a little more serious about it back in ireland I don't think I've had a dive were vis was more than 5 m

My preference is to be able to reach out and touch my buddy. I expect to be able to just glance to the side and see them. I want perfect formation in the colder water and lower viz. Old age has finally caught up with me.

Now, back in the day, when my buddy and I were both photographers, we were usually quite a distance apart and not paying a whole lot of attention to one another. Probably not a good situation but the water was warm, the viz was outstanding and, for all practical purposes, were were both solo divers in the same ocean.

I don't care for the tag line approach but, if I were going to use one, Rick has the right ideas. I really like the suggestion of letting the junior diver lead the way! Although I might have a problem keeping up with my grandson.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom