Recreational Dive Light Manufacturers:Behind the Times

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
As I've learned more about current led and battery technology I'm amazed at how behind the times most recreational dive light manufacturers are.

Some of us have ended up buying lights from China with all of the lack of testing that that suggests (and being the guinea pigs ourselves) just because the equivalent products aren't commonly available in any other way.

For example, there is a light frequently reviewed that comes from China...it's simply labeled Cree MC-E dive light. Conservatively speaking using led technology it puts out 500 lumens, uses two batteries not much bigger than AA (specifically lithium-ion rechargeable 18650) and costs for the light, 2 rechargeable batteries and the charger $95 including free shipping.

A UK Light Cannon HID replacement bulb costs $100. A UK rechargeable battery pack costs about $70. I paid $8 for 2 rechargeable 18650 lithium-ion batteries.

UK has a dive light that it just came out with using leds that is comparable in output (which is rare in itself) and it's $400 and using 8 C Cells or a nicad battery pack.

The plastic light is 5 times as heavy and 3 times the size of the Cree light. The burn times are similar as is the output.

The Cree light can be used hands free due to it's size. The UK cannot of course.

No one in the US seems to be interested in selling the 18650 lithium-ion battery since if used incorrectly it can catch fire! However, China, Japan, and Korea manufacture this battery and use it in products all the time. It's internal resistance is much lower than an alkaline battery and is therefore much better at supplying power for higher power applications and also doesn't degrade performance with colder temperatures which is a problem with alkalines.

It is generally sold in a "protected" version with a circuit that limits overcharge and under discharge which is the only time that catching fire would be an issue.

It is this battery that allows a light to go from weighing 2 1/2 pounds to 1/2 pound.

Regarding led's that output 500 lumens. The actual led is $15 or somewhere in that range yet manufacturers continue to produce lights with much less lumens.

Most lights coming out of China are machined aircraft grade aluminum (anodized) which dissipate the heat produced by higher powered leds well as opposed to the plastic lights made here (plastic is an insulator).

Plastic lights if they fail aren't really repairable. Aluminum lights can be fully taken apart and repaired or modified by most anyone.

It is a shame to see a $100 light from one source that is made from machined aluminum, produces 500 lumens, and fits in the palm of your hand put out by one company while another produces a small plastic 130 lumen (at best) light that is no more than a backup light for the same price.

The best scenario would be for dive light manufacturers to get on the ball and produce that same Cree light with proper design work and product testing before product release and sell it for $200.

The irony is that Cree (a world class led producer) isn't a Chinese company. It's based in Durham, NC. Yet, the first products to utilize the latest leds aren't those designed by US dive light manufacturers. It's Chinese flashlight manufacturing plants.

As frequently happens in scuba change is slow and divers take things into their own hands. I'm fairly unlikely to ever buy another light from the recreational dive industry since I'm having to learn enough to deal with the Chinese lights I'll end up knowing how to build my own and won't need anyone else.

I initially bought an aluminum light for $16 that output 100 lumens and easily converted it (using comparatively crude methods) and took it to 100 fsw with no problem.

In my local dive store there is a plastic version for $125.

There really needs to be more innovation in scuba and light manufacturers have no excuse as led technology is improving dramatically yearly if not monthly.

Some are doing a good job such as Intova and others. Most are not.

Last edited:
This is what happens when all jobs, technology, wealth are transferred to other countries and more also the result of letting lawyers engineer our products. Yes, the battery you mention is partly why, that too I have wondered about, why not, well, it's the lawyers I am sure.

Yes, I have noticed what you say and have the lights that you mention plus the Intova and the DR500LED (which is a very nice light).

I have been playing around with the Cree type LEDs, I robbed one from a cheapo (Chinese light) and have been trying to install it in an Ikelite case. Then I realized, just buy this:

DealExtreme: $81.00 Diving Cree SSC-P7-C-SXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight Kit (2*18650/4*CR123A/4*16340)

N

Yeah, the only problem with the CREE P7 is that mine took a month to get here, and it does not work beyond 25'. As other p7's do work, this is an issue with my light. However you do take a bit of a gamble purchasing from Hong Kong or China, or at least it takes a long time to deal with issues.

This is what happens when all jobs, technology, wealth are transferred to other countries and more also the result of letting lawyers engineer our products. Yes, the battery you mention is partly why, that too I have wondered about, why not, well, it's the lawyers I am sure.

Well, to be fair, in this case the technology started here so there really is no excuse for anyone with flashlight producing capability, which is every machine shop in the US, to not produce better lights.

It does probably explain (though not justify) the battery situation. Personally, I just think it's more of an excuse. After all the country is full of gun stores.

Yes, I have noticed what you say and have the lights that you mention plus the Intova and the DR500LED (which is a very nice light).

I have been playing around with the Cree type LEDs, I robbed one from a cheapo (Chinese light) and have been trying to install it in an Ikelite case. Then I realized, just buy this:

DealExtreme: $81.00 Diving Cree SSC-P7-C-SXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight Kit (2*18650/4*CR123A/4*16340)

N

Exactly. Now when the next greatest chip comes out you can simply open up that Cree diving light and pop in the latest chip (if the driver will continue to support it of course...or just change out the driver as well).

As I've learned more about current led and battery technology I'm amazed at how behind the times most recreational dive light manufacturers are.

The doors wide open. Why haven't *you* acted on this opportunity?

Start a light company, or import a foreign produced light.

I suspect your level of amazement will be reduced when faced with the practical realities of actually doing something and not just commenting on what others are doing.

Of course actually being able to offer a product for sale in the US requires an investment in time and money, comments OTOH are cheap.

Tobin

Yeah, the only problem with the CREE P7 is that mine took a month to get here, and it does not work beyond 25'. As other p7's do work, this is an issue with my light. However you do take a bit of a gamble purchasing from Hong Kong or China, or at least it takes a long time to deal with issues.

What happened? :(

N

It does probably explain (though not justify) the battery situation. Personally, I just think it's more of an excuse. After all the country is full of gun stores.

:rofl3: Not the same thing, guns have a constitutional legal basis, exploding batteries do not.

I think what one poster is saying is that it is easy (well, sometimes not so easy) to make one of a kind lights, tools, equipment etc but quite another to jump through all the hoops to get a good and reliable product to the mass consumer market. Experimenters will always be ahead of where the industry is as a whole. The Chinese products, specifically the makers of those products, are insulated from the legal reach (of greedy lieyers). As we have found with many Chinese products, some are very good, some are dangerous, some are even poisonous (dog food, baby food, toys with lead etc) but as anything, their products will improve over time and be of fine quality. As Ron has sadly learned, his light did not work, mine seems to thus far, hit or miss, that would not do if made here or sold here by a dive equipment business.

N

The doors wide open. Why haven't *you* acted on this opportunity?

Start a light company, or import a foreign produced light.

I suspect your level of amazement will be reduced when faced with the practical realities of actually doing something and not just commenting on what others are doing.

Of course actually being able to offer a product for sale in the US requires an investment in time and money, comments OTOH are cheap.

Tobin

My comments are the same price as your comments. Yes, I know...you have started a business. Great. I own your products. You're an example of what I'm talking about that is possible. Who are the light manufacturers that are the DSS of the light industry.

Your argument is lame for an internet board if you are implying that I can't have a valid opinion regarding the dive light industry unless I start a dive light business.

By posting I was merely trying to inform anyone who wasn't aware of the greater choices out there. I would have liked to have seen a post like this several years ago. There are more choices out there than many realize.

Sure I could start a thread about whether or not Nitrox is good for you but that's not my style.

Somehow your comments seem cheaper than the spirit behind my post.

Last edited:
gcbryan:

Your comments are very valid. You do not have to start a company to express your opinion.

We have been dealing with battery technology for the last year or two in relation to our
DPV'S.

It has been eye opening to how non responsive USA based companies have been to our inquiries while the Chinese companies are sending us updates and spec sheets every day-including today.

We would prefer to source domestic. It does seem, sadly, we will source offshore.

:rofl3: Not the same thing, guns have a constitutional legal basis, exploding batteries do not.

I think what one poster is saying is that it is easy (well, sometimes not so easy) to make one of a kind lights, tools, equipment etc but quite another to jump through all the hoops to get a good and reliable product to the mass consumer market. Experimenters will always be ahead of where the industry is as a whole. The Chinese products, specifically the makers of those products, are insulated from the legal reach (of greedy lieyers). As we have found with many Chinese products, some are very good, some are dangerous, some are even poisonous (dog food, baby food, toys with lead etc) but as anything, their products will improve over time and be of fine quality. As Ron has sadly learned, his light did not work, mine seems to thus far, hit or miss, that would not do if made here or sold here by a dive equipment business.

N

I agree with you entirely. Their products will get better as did those of the Japanese and I'm sure ours had their problems early on as well.

Specifically though, these dive lights could be improved QA wise immediately and easily just by testing a few before selling 10,000. We know they could use a thicker lens, probably a second o-ring in the lens area, slightly firmer o-ings (duro) and more threads on the bezel. Quality control to check the drivers for loose connections and the problem rate would be no different than any other dive light.

They just don't have product testing programs for flashlights. Actually, they didn't specifically design these as dive lights. They just found some of their existing lights that work with a few tweaks. How else do you explain external heat fins on a aluminum bodied light that will be submersed in water?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom