REcreational diving law.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liquid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I live in Israel, the first country in the world to introduce a law that organized recreational diving by standrds that bound all who delt with it. the law was introduced first in 1979, and was changed for several times since, I will give here some points from it, from the latest revision:

Minimal age for a course-12 years, may dive up to 20 meters, only with someone of 21 years or older, that is qualified to dive to 30 meters.

At age 15 one can have a deep diving course, and be able to get as deep as 30 meters.

Master diver-Someone experianced (there is something here that is hard to explain to a none israely) may dive up to 42 meters, must be at least 16 years old.

Instructor: may dive as deep as common sense allows (this was put, so instructors can go down and chase droping students, without fear of presecution). Instructors has to pay an anual fee, to have a "teaching" permitance. also-instructors can't work independantly, they must work from a licensed dive-center (I think this is a very important part of the law). Instructor has to be at least 21 years old.

The law forbids divers to dive alone, must have buddys.

Every diver must have a valid diving insurance.

Every dive center has to get a lisence.

The law specifys the equipment a diver must use:BC, Timer (one for a couple), deapth gauge (one for a couple),(the last two must be held by the same diver) An instrument to alert ending of air, quick release buckle for the bc, the tank holder and the weight belt.

A diver that didnt log a dive for a year, must go through a refresh dive.

Though not in the law, It is customary to have up to 6 students per instructor in o/w curse, and 2 more for certified assistant.

The law goes on on about 10 full pages, that is just the more important stuff on the regular diver level. It continues specifying minimal standrads for diving schools, instructors, certifying agencys, instructional aids and many more things.

If any one has any question about this, I'll be happy to answer.

And last thing- I'd really like to know about such laws in other countries, so if anyone can give examples of such, Ill be really happy :)

There are some interesting points there. Some I agree with some I don't and some in there that just wouldn't fly in the US.

I like the age resrictions. I would rather see the accompanying diver be a parent or family member. 20 meters is a little over 60'. That is deeper than basic OW allows.

I think 16 is too young for Master diver. IMHO

Requiring instructors to be tied to a dive shop is tough and as deep as common sense allows is pretty broad language.

I also wonder about the challenges of enforcement on the depths. Who is going to check the depth guage? If the divers don't have a computer there is no way to prove someone exceeded their depth floor.

I like the insurance.

No solo dives would never work in the US

Required refresher dives for those who don't dive for a year is a good idea. Impossible to enforce.

One timer and one depth guage per couple... not enough to me.

Thanks for the post liquid. I would imagine other countries that consider trying to regulate diving will look at your countries law and may ust it as somewhat of a model.

Tom

First of all, all the sections I mentioned about the law, are just minimal requierments (like the ages), and In every case of Defference between an agency's Standrd and the law, the one more restrictive wins.

Requiering Instructors to work with a dive-shop is to prevent a situation of an instructor doing whatever he wants, with nobody to watch over him.

About the depth-this one ususaly get enforced only when people end-up in HBO treatment, or generaly report a diving accident.

About solo dives- One can dive solo, only if he has a "Solo diver insurance", which is quite expansive, and somehow goes around the law.

Refresh dives are enforced, simply by the centers that rent equipment and refeel tanks. every diver has to show his log bookm and they check when was the latest. as centers charge for refresh dive, It always work.

About gauges-the law was introduced back in 1979. than equipment was much more expansive, and having one for a pair of buddys was customary world-wide. Just remeber it's only the minimum.

I'll be happy to post some more about it if anyone is interested.

Wow I would not like some goverment agency making scuba rules here!!! The fees would be horrorable hehe!
They would probobly have a gov agency just to save ourselves
from ourselves! would cost a fortune. Nothing works as well
when the goverment sticks its nose in. And prices will go up
too
my 2 cents Rick L

lol.
well-there is actualy no fee, accept for instreuctors, that pay an anual fee, equals more or less to 25$.

There is a special agency that deals with diving, but I think what it does is good, keeping minimal standards, keeping eyes on greedy dive centers, and most importently-develop the sport, by creating artificial sites with cooperation of varios organisations.

So Liquid, What are the penalties associated with breaking these laws? Most of the laws you listed are the base requirements for completing a safe dive. When the ultimate penalty is death or lifelong disability, why does the government have regulate it?

-kate

If you wont the exact penalties, I can dig them up for you.
anyway- It usualy involves taking the person's Cerificate, or heavy fines (up to about 3000$).

I'd have to add here, that the agency deals mostly with dive centers, checking the air quality, checking if instructors stand to their agency's standards (for example-a padi instructor will be evaluated by a ranger who's a padi instructor himself), checking that the gear works properly in those centers.

Examples for articles of the law that deals with instructors: Instructor has to go through at least 4 "mantored" courses, where he teaches under the supervision of a certified instructor before being alowed to teach himself (VERY usefull!), Maximum ratio of student per instructor is 6 to 1 (though I am not 100% sure of this one).

About the punishment being self-risking- Well, drug addicts only risk themselves, so are reckless drivers in empty roads or suicidel persons, only law is enforced on them as well.

And there's another reason that I can't mention here, becouse of the message about rules posted by lady diver. I don't want to be acused of anything (even though it regards my own people...).

P.S-
I didn't say it's a good thing or a bad thing. I think It's generaly a good thing, though the enforcement lacks a bit in certain points (you'd have to a local to see it). It does take a bit your freedom, I agree on that, but still, I think It's generally beneficial. and last thing- I belive it couses the level of diving education here to be a bit better in average than in other places that have no regulations (Seen some people that did a crash padi course, 3 days in thailand? I did. didnt like what I saw).

Resort courses would definitly be out. That could take out the people who dive maybe once a year on that resort cert. It would force people to take a full length class. Standardized and monitored instructors..... hmmmm interesting idea... kinda like it.... small classes.. like that too....

I still don't like the notion of the US gov regulating diving. That scares me :eek:

Tom

Back
Top Bottom