Getting Horizonal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MISFIT DIVER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am looking for some advise. I have been working on trying to become more in a horizontal position when I hover and when I am doing a safety stop. I am in this position during descent and while swimming, with no problems, but while hanging at a safety stop or just hovering to look at something, I can not hold this position with out kicking a little or moving my arms, both of which I do not want to do. I have seen other guys do it and it seems so effort less. I dive in a dry suit and use 24 pounds, 12 on a belt and 12 integrated. I do not know of any benificial reason for wanting to be able to this other then wanting to. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

I would have hoped that it would be more complicated then that:) I guess it is a "practice" thing. Improper weighting or missed placed weighting does not effect that? Not that I belive that is the issue, just seems to be the obviouse cause. I will give it a shot

MISFIT DIVER once bubbled...
I would have hoped that it would be more complicated then that:) I guess it is a "practice" thing. Improper weighting or missed placed weighting does not effect that? Not that I belive that is the issue, just seems to be the obviouse cause. I will give it a shot

Actually there is more to it. You need to be properly weighted and have your weights distirbuted properly.

As said by bending your head down and bring your knees up and feet closer to your butt will shift your center of gravity making you more head heavy or by extending your legs out behind you more will shift your center of gravity towards your feet.

But if your wearing a ton of weight on your waist its gonna be hard to hover in a horizontal manner. You may need to shift some of that weight up higer somehow if you are feet heavy.

I have a SeaQuest Balance bc and was wearing 20lbs of weight with a 7mm hood and gloves... I had 7lbs in each ditchable and 3lbs in the upper trim pockets...Like you I was fine when moving, ascents, and descents, but when I wanted to hang I had the heavy feet thing...Until I moved my weight around..I put 5lbs in each trim pocket and and 5lbs in each ditchable...now trim is getting much better when hangin...Also like mentioned before the head down and knees in closer also helped but takes much practice...I hope to get it down soon...

Proper weighting is important. Most folks are over weighted. They are swimming head up/feet down. A few are under weighted and swim with their feet up, but once you have that issue down, shifting weights around your rig doesn't make all that much of a difference. Trim is pretty simple, not nearly as complicated as some would have you believe.

Careful moving your tank up, you're likely to bump your head, I keep mine pretty low for that reason.

Walter once bubbled...
shifting weights around your rig doesn't make all that much of a difference. Trim is pretty simple, not nearly as complicated as some would have you believe.

Doesn't shifting your weight around change your center of gravity? Which would help with trim right?

If its not nearly as complicated as some would have you believe please give it up..I'm sure there are plenty on the board who are having trouble with it including myself...Every time I dive I work on my trim position...

Walter once bubbled...
A few are under weighted and swim with their feet up, but once you have that issue down, shifting weights around your rig doesn't make all that much of a difference. Trim is pretty simple, not nearly as complicated as some would have you believe.

If your wearing all of your weights around your waist and are feet heavy you can only compensate so much with body position while hovering at a safety stop.

I had not thought of moving more weight to the trim pockets. I am diving with a Knighthawk now but am waiting on a new Balance. I thought to have that much weight(5lbs) in the trim pockets would have been excessive. I would think that the times you did get vertical, that much weight would have a tendency to pull you backwards?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom