Dahab Trip Report Club Red Nov 09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dazle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from a 9 day holiday in Dahab and thought I'd share my experience for those thinking of going there.

Stayed and did 15 dives with Club Red. I had an amazing time both in and out of the water. I travelled alone and apart from a bit of down time I had no difficulty meeting people.

Club Red for diving was sound, it's all at your own pace within reason. Most of my dives were just me and a guide, well good if you hate following fins. They offer competitive packages inc accom and equipment. The equipment was all in good condition. The accommodation there is very basic but clean but noisy from 6am(soon to be refurbished). If you are looking for a budget friendly bed then this fits, if you are after sky tv and a posh bathroom then don't even bother. Red Sea Relax accom offers better facilities, but at a price. The food and drink there is reasonable and is good for a pint after a days diving and sit on the terrace watching the sunset

As for nightlife I found a few at club red, then red sea relax, yalla bar, rush was adequate. If you want to stay out late thats not a problem either

I wouldn't stay HB/FB anywhere in Dahab unless vv cheap as there is a wide variety of places to eat whatever you desire

As for the diving, unless you are a newbie I wouldn't bother with the local diving other than for your check dive.

Shore dives nr Dahab
The blue hole and canyon is the equivalent to big ben in london, so expect lots of divers, overpriced restaurants etc but it is well worth the experience. The tunnel at the beginning of the blue hole is awesome as is going to the bottom of the canyon and looking up. Its for advanced+ though.

Islands is full of life, i found myself in the eye of a tornado of juvenile barracuda, breathtaking experience! would have been happy to stay and suck my tank dry. interesting rock and coral formations but as often strong current and **** viz(if you can say that for 15m!)

South(Moray Gardens/Caves)
There are a few dive sites in this area, it's a good day out with relaxing on floor cushions in a restaurant between dives. Expensive though but good diving

SS Thistlegorm & Ras Mo
Wanted to do the thistlegorm last year from sharm but i hadn't anticipated how expensive sharm and diving there was so had to leave it.

Night(ish) boat out there, great breakfast, kit on and dived round the ship. 2nd dive penetrated the wreck, some really cool stuff in there, trucks, bikes, boots, ammo etc. You need to be really good with your bouyancy though and defo need a torch as pitch black in tight swimthroughs at times. Ras mo on way back was good but overshadowed by thistlegorm.

Gabl Bint
Did by boat but can be done as camel safari. Quite a busy area but full of life and colour

Ras Abu Galum(RAG)
My favourite experience! jeep to blue hole then camel to RAG, where we had a bit of a hut on the beach. Not many people have dived here so the coral has not been kicked to ****. Vis was great. Then spent the night under the stars by a fire getting pissed on egyptian rum. Quality! No other westerners there either only bedouin settlers. Well nice having nothing around you and no noise just the waves and wind. The bedouin who looked after us was spot on. He anticipated our every move, had a brew ready for us when we surfaced, fed us well(considering where we were) and was no trouble

If you a reading this and think there are questions i could answer then feel free to ask away!

Cheers

Darryl

Attachments

• 6411_1209129307781_1215163626_30639609_6430039_n.jpg
    6411_1209129307781_1215163626_30639609_6430039_n.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 16138_1296866781163_1215163626_30929764_7787633_n.jpg
    16138_1296866781163_1215163626_30929764_7787633_n.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2418.jpg
    IMG_2418.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 50
  • MVI_2352.jpg
    MVI_2352.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 39
  • MVI_2380-12.jpg
    MVI_2380-12.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 39
  • MVI_2380-8.jpg
    MVI_2380-8.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 41
No way. Well jealous lol!!!

RAG was arranged by Club Red and included in the package. I was travelling alone and no one else was doing it so it was just me and a guide. It is well worth the effort!!! beautiful scenery, treated well at our hut and diving unspoiled with lots of colourful coral. turtles are often seen there but i wasnt lucky. I did see octopus, rays, moray eels, triggers loads of lion fish. was just so nice to not be surrounded by light and noise pollution, noisy westerners are people trying to get me to buy so cack for their cacky shop. we had a women set up shop in our hut but we soon scared her off. You want to speak to your dive centre to get the best deal, if they wont do it due to group size, go to club red and speak to vincent, i'm sure he'll do you a good deal. my guide was paul and he's well good.

I dont need to wish you a good hol, it's guaranteed(unless u get bent lol)!

I've spent quite a bit of time in Dahab and I love it, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself too. I did the camel safari to Ras Abu Galum way back in 2003, I'm pleased to hear that the reefs are still pristine. I haven't been back there because I thought the camel was the most uncomfortable form of transport I've ever experienced - maybe it was the two cylinder valves under the camel blanket on the trip up there! I walked all the way back :shocked2:

having been on a camel before i walked it there and back too!

not much left of me flip flops afterwards, must remember to pack walking soes next time :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom