Purge valve in mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I use a Tusa Liberator mask with a purge valve that I have had for over 3 years and 139 dives and so far it has worked well. But I sometimes wonder about what I should do if the valve failed while diving, thus flooding the mask.

Masks with purge valves are relatively uncommon in the UK and Europe but I understand that they are more popular in America. Therefore, do any of you guys please advice me on the following?

-As long as I wash my mask in fresh water after a dive and keep it clean, what are the risks of the purge valve actually failing?

-In case it does fail during a dive, what action do I take? The theoretical one that I have told myself is to block the hole with my thumb, then try to clear the mask the 'conventional' way and abort the dive with my buddy. I don't know if there is anything else that I can do.

As a general rule, we don't recommend purge-valve masks. Just one more unnecessary item to cause a failure (valve).

However, if you insist on diving with it, and are worried about the eventuality of failure, why not carry a back-up in your bc pocket? As far as the dive goes, you should have been taught to deal with this problem. It is not a life-threatening situation but will certainly ruin a good dive.

There is no quick fix for this problem (that I am aware of) and therefore I simply recommend you get a mask without the purge. You have come to the right place for an answer, though. I am curious to see what others have to say about this one. :wink:

Why would a purge valve failure cause mask flooding?
They're normally located at the lowest part of the mask.

When you exhale, just allow a little air to flow out of your nose and leave a trickle of bubbles going out of the purge valve.
It's what many of us with moustaches do routinely when we don't get a perfect under-nose seal.

Why put yourself through the stress of worrying over a valve? Buy a proper mask and become comfortable and proficient at clearing - this is one of the most basic skills you were taught. The "purge valve" is a gizmo.

Thanks. I do have a valveless back-up mask but confess that only wear it if going on an overhead environment like a wreck penetration or cavern dive. The valve makes mask clearing easier. I know I should carry a spare but because most of the storage space is taken up by camera kit, torches, DSMB etc, I do not bother to take the second mask as a spare. I should, I guess.

I am surprised that you guys do not recommend masks with purge valves. When I went on a liveaboard dive in Bermuda in 2007, my American buddy told me that they were very popular among the US divers. Also, on a recent trip to the Red Sea, 6 out of 7 Americans on board had masks with purge valves. I guess it was just a coincidence, then.

Thanks. I do have a valveless back-up mask but confess that only wear it if going on an overhead environment like a wreck penetration or cavern dive. The valve makes mask clearing easier. I know I should carry a spare but because most of the storage space is taken up by camera kit, torches, DSMB etc, I do not bother to take the second mask as a spare. I should, I guess.

I am surprised that you guys do not recommend masks with purge valves. When I went on a liveaboard dive in Bermuda in 2007, my American buddy told me that they were very popular among the US divers. Also, on a recent trip to the Red Sea, 6 out of 7 Americans on board had masks with purge valves. I guess it was just a coincidence, then.

It's more like 90 out of 100 do not wear pruge mask, most likely it was one shop on the boat and that is what one of the owners/instructors prefers. I can think of only one buddy of mine who wears one. Never thought of it but my guess is a failure of the purge valve would be more a pain that any thing else. The only likely failure I can think of would be for it to start leaking and that would likely start slow and progress over a long period. A fast "failure" would almost certainly be some foreign item stuck on the valve, a good flood and clear would likely solve that issue. They have been around for a lot of years with little appearant problems, my suggestion is to forget about the problem and deal with it if it occurs. Worst case is you have a totally flooded mask...something every OW student should be able to handle easily.

When I was certified back in 91, my local shop sold Scubapro and they made a mask called the "Trivent" and it had a purge in it. I really like the mask and bought it. I probably have over 400 dives on that mask and have never once had a problem with the purge. Over the years I have switched to other masks thinking I needed something more low profile, and while these masks have been very good, I keep coming back to my tried and tested Trivent.

I even bought another one off of e-bay that was in like new condition and had to pay almost the original price of about $115 to $120. And I was up against a lot of bidders for it.

I have just always like my mask because even though I don't get much water in it, when I do, all I have to do is breathe out my nose a little and the water rushes out without having to lift the mask off my face.

I'm thinking just the opposite in US??, by that I mean I know of only 1 or 2 divers that use them here locally-maybe we're 'behind the times' & haven't caught up with the rest of the diving world, lol.....

I look at a purge valve mask as a warning that a diver may not be as comfortable as they should be with a mask flooding and clearing. I know my wife was that way when she first started. But she resolved the problem and graduated to a regular mask. Other that I have known with a purge mask had similar issues. I'm sure some divers just find them to be comfortable and fit well and have no other issues, but not the ones I know.

I don't recall seeing a US diver with a purge-valve mask in more than a year or so...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom