How late into the season can we Dive in Quebec? (wet)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Bud

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone,

So this is my first season of diving, I started at the beginning of the summer. I did about 20 dives so far but me and my buddy don't want to be done yet!

I was wondering if we can still dive? We wear a 7mm BARE Elastek wet suit + 7mm Bare Elastek vest (14mm total)...with hood gloves and all.

I would imagine the surface temps to be colder but below the thermocline I can't really see it getting much colder... where we dive the bottom temps are in 40s-50s and we've been fine.

We will probably go dry next year but for now how late can we dive before it being TOO cold?

Thanks!

You can dive pretty much as long as you want (until the water freezes... and even then...), it's more a matter of personal tolerance and making sure it's not too cold outside (I know a girl who did Lock 21 in a wet in January last year, told me they probably set a speed record for the get out of a wetsuit part). Be very careful if you want to do more than one dive, as waiting an hour in a wet wetsuit in sub zero temperature isn't ideal and you'll probably get very cold. One of the biggest advantages of a dry suit is that with a hat & mits you can survive the surface interval without too much suffering (water + cold + bare hands = unhappy diver).

All year around I say.

I intend to do my under-ice cert in a wet suit, since I won't have my dry in time.
The biggest problem with wet suit diving in cold temperature is the getting out of. Except for that, it won't be very much colder than dry suit, especially if you have good mitains, like the Whites 6mm or the Waterproof Crux.

And don't forget the neoprene socks. It does make a big difference.

Hey everyone,

So this is my first season of diving, I started at the beginning of the summer. I did about 20 dives so far but me and my buddy don't want to be done yet!

I was wondering if we can still dive? We wear a 7mm BARE Elastek wet suit + 7mm Bare Elastek vest (14mm total)...with hood gloves and all.

I would imagine the surface temps to be colder but below the thermocline I can't really see it getting much colder... where we dive the bottom temps are in 40s-50s and we've been fine.

We will probably go dry next year but for now how late can we dive before it being TOO cold?

Thanks!

Nobody knows but you. I consider "wetsuit season" to be the last week of August. The rest of the year is drysuit weather. :D

In any case, you can certainly try it and see what you think. Also, wetsuits lose thickness (and thermal protection) as you go deeper because the gas pockets inside the rubber compress. While nobody can tell you exactly how much your particular suit will compress, it's entirely possible for a 7mm suit to feel like 3mm even at reasonably shallow depths, so if you stay shallower, the suit will stay thicker and you'll stay warmer.

Terry

Last edited:
Alright well ty for the reassurance guys, I think I will give it a go... We will probably do a shallow dive so we don't freeze!

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Hey, I'm from Montreal as well !! I also have a 7 on 7 and I dove just 4 days ago. you can dive all winter round with your wetsuit. BTW@, if you need company, I am looking for people to dive with as well, so let me know !

Hey, I'm from Montreal as well !! I also have a 7 on 7 and I dove just 4 days ago. you can dive all winter round with your wetsuit. BTW@, if you need company, I am looking for people to dive with as well, so let me know !

I am also from Montreal but have not dove here since june, when i got certified. I wanted to get my equipment (wet suit) first cause i did NOT like the rented suites..

Les Escoumins is be a great place to dive. Not sure if the park is open all year. It's salt water diving and the water is cold. We went in September and the water was 37 degrees. I dove dry and my wife dove wet (after I tore her dry suit neck seal when making it bigger).

Prescott dock is good to dive as there is little current, shallow and easy entry/exit. Also Morrison's Quarry - if it isn't frozen.

The weather conditions are the main factors, for me, when diving in cold water. Cold day, snowing or raining and windy will make me call a dive before cold water will.

I'm still diving wet abnd the water at my local divesite is around 40 degrees now. My son has a drysuit (but then again he has a job and lives at home).

I have a windproof parka ready for when I am waiting fro my buddy to gear up and for immediately after I exit the water. Get all your gear ready to go while you are still in your street clothes, change into your wetsuit, throw a parka on while you wait then hit the water and have fun. Once you are out, get that parka back on over your wetsuit to cut the wind and limit the thermal loss. Get dried off and into warm clothes as fast as you can. Take your gear apart and stow it only after you are out of your wetsuit and back in warm clothes.

I agree with everyone that a wetsuit will keep you warm in very cold water but the cold air (especially if it is windy) will chill you to the bone pretty darn fast in a wet, wetsuit.

Bob (Toronto)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom