Preventing a cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am leaving for a dive trip in Cozumel in 4 days. Everybody around me has been sick for the last month. I've been taking Zicam and inmmunity supplements for the last few weeks however today I feel that I'm starting to get a cold. Do any of you have any ideas on what I can do to prevent getting a cold or shorten the duration? I've been planning this trip for the last 4 months and hate to miss the diving (first time in cozumel). I'm guessing there are many divers out there that have been in the same situatuion so any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Wash your hands frequently and use lots of hand sanitizer. Avoid crowded, cramped places and drink lots of fluids.

Stay off commercial aircraft.
I chew 2000mg. of vit. C, 4 times a day when people around me are sick. Chew with lots of water in your mouth.
Wipe the mouthpiece of phones before you use them.
KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF YOUR FACE.
If you have to do some manual mining in your nose, wash your hands and nails first.
Nose and eyes are a mainline into your system.
Eat healthy. Excercise.

To prevent: Get a pneumonia shot every five years. Stay away from other people, especially snot-nosed rug rats. Keep your fingers out of your nose and you eyes. To alleviate: Drink the juice of two lemons every day. (Of course with tequila.)

I am leaving for a dive trip in Cozumel in 4 days. Everybody around me has been sick for the last month. I've been taking Zicam and inmmunity supplements for the last few weeks however today I feel that I'm starting to get a cold.

Too late now. :D

If you had asked before that last sentence, I'd say "Stay away from sick people, wash your hands frequently and keep your hands away from your face"

If you're already getting sick, I'd say "Try to buy travel insurance so you can get your money back when you can't go." :D

Terry

Unfortunately, once you have been infected with the virus and have begun to show symptoms, there is no treatment that has been shown successful in aborting the illness. "Colds", as we term them, are caused by a variety of viruses, which is one of the reasons why one never gets immune to them. This is unlike influenza, which in any given year, tends to be caused by one bug.

A variety of things have been championed as specifics for "colds". Vitamin C was touted by Linus Pauling, but has actually had some pretty good testing, and it does not work. Zinc and echinacea are two other substances which have failed to demonstrate compelling and reliable efficacy (which doesn't stop me from taking echinacea when I start to sniffle!)

Once symptomatic, the best one can hope for is to treat the symptoms and to give the body the best chance to get you well quickly, which includes plenty of rest and lots of fluids.

I'll hold a good thought for you that your current symptoms are either a false alarm, or short-lived!

Sweat the cold out. Dress fully in a 7mm wetsuit. Put on a hood, gloves and booties. Put on a mask to help initiate the sweating process. Go outdoors either in your front yard or a local park and do backwards somersaults for about 15 minutes. Stand on your head until it really hurts a lot and clap your heels together as you do this. Then dance around like an idiot. It may work.......

I am leaving for a dive trip in Cozumel in 4 days. Everybody around me has been sick for the last month. I've been taking Zicam and inmmunity supplements for the last few weeks however today I feel that I'm starting to get a cold. Do any of you have any ideas on what I can do to prevent getting a cold or shorten the duration? I've been planning this trip for the last 4 months and hate to miss the diving (first time in cozumel). I'm guessing there are many divers out there that have been in the same situatuion so any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

I managed to get through the sickness very quick (I only had 1 day of feeling a bit weak , no coughs or temperatures though, I was having mild running nose for 2 days) just 2 weeks ago. All my family went through some form of flu and cold over the month of November. I use the following grandmom techniques. Please use it on your own risk if you chose so.

Once I started feeling my throat itching I started washing it with baking soda solution. Put half a tea spoon on a cup of water. Put some in the mouth - make some bubbles and spit. Repeat until you use the whole cup.

Wash your nose :) make a solution of a see salt - put one tea spoon into a cup of cold tap water. Pour some water into you palm , then inhale the water through one nostril, the water suppose to go through the nose and exit through your mouth. Repeat this 3 times a day.

Cut small pieces of onion and put them into the nostrils. Breath for 5 mins then take them out.

Eat garlic few times a day. I was taking Vitamin C 2 times a day - 2 500mg tablets.

Sleep well and drink a lot of liquid. Thy not to do heavy physical exercises.

This is what helped me to go through it this year and few times in the past.

Sweat the cold out. Dress fully in a 7mm wetsuit. Put on a hood, gloves and booties. Put on a mask to help initiate the sweating process. Go outdoors either in your front yard or a local park and do backwards somersaults for about 15 minutes. Stand on your head until it really hurts a lot and clap your heels together as you do this. Then dance around like an idiot. It may work.......

Or it may not. :rofl3:

and get it on video for the rest of us...laughter is the best medicine

Back
Top Bottom