Where to log???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oreo cookie

Reaction score
Perhaps this is a silly question but I need to know something....I'm just about to certify as an OW diver(padi). I dont have a log book. What should I buy?? Is there like a standard one that everyone uses or some better than others?? please help, where should I log my dives?

I've been "counseled" by PADI instructors to keep a written logbook, which is what you should probably do...Get a book from nearly any LDS...

What I do though, is to download my computer every few dives, add notes, etc.
My hope is that the log I have of my dives will suffice if I ever need it for a class. If not, oh well.

A physical log is preferred because instructors and dive buddies can sign it, sort of as a witness that you actually did the dives.

Each certifying agency has their own log book SSI, PADI, NAUI (I have all 3 as I did the PADI class - OW checkout with a NAUI Instr. and have switched over to SSI specialities) etc. Several on the board have made their own logbooks, either a spiral notebook or photocopied pages. I

I'm using a 6 ring binder with SSI pages and I keep a lot of extra stuff in it. I have several plastic pages for other's business cards, an address book and different instructions for downloading pictures from my digital to my laptop.

My suggestion is get one and play with it and see what you like and what you don't and look for what is missing. Wish I could be more specific than that. It becomes a really personal thing. I'm not good at listing what I saw so I not do much with the back-side of the page.

Let us know what you decide on
Becky

Have you started your class yet? I thought that the ow package came with a log book in it.

Yes, I already start the course.....I finished all the theory and the pool dives. I'm going to the caribbean on august to certify. The log book didnt come with the course neither the "go dive" box, Is it to expensive? are there different types?

(There's several options for the OW training material that can be ordered from PADI. The deluxe ones have the log book, the basic don't.)

I personally like the binder style log book, I have PADI's. My tables and other slates are tucked in the back, and there's other options for things to put in the binder as well. Also helps prevent SLBS (soggy log book syndrome.)

-mike

Get an exercies book from the Newsagent, write your dives in that, make sure you buddy signs them.
Column for
Date
Time
Air Used
Comments
Buddies Sig

Oreo cookie once bubbled...
Yes, I already start the course.....I finished all the theory and the pool dives. I'm going to the caribbean on august to certify. The log book didnt come with the course neither the "go dive" box, Is it to expensive? are there different types?

You didn't get a log book with your course materials? Didn't you buy the whole crew pack that includes the book, dive tables, lots of offer flyers, and a log book - either a blue or red one?

In fact checking the PADI website and looking up their products, the crew pack is supposed to include:

PADI Open Water Diver Manual
Full color self paced design
Imperial or metric of the Recreational Dive Planner –Table or wheel formats
Student Record file
Safe Diver decal
Dive log – Module 1 of the Adventure log series or a blue log book

Marc

Log books are expensive to buy, especially the padi one and on top of that can be quite bulky - Just buy a notebook and put all in all the information important to you (e.g. dive #, location, max depth, air consumption, viz, your thoughts about the dive...)

I'm recertifying with NAUI and my initial course materials included a nice, compact, log book. Maybe it's available on the NAUI site. I haven't checked, but will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom