No cars available...at all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking at coming to the big island between Christmas and New Years.

However, checking for car rentals for 12/24 to 12/30 returns no cars available. At all. From any agency.

I expected that it was peak time, but is "no cars at all for a week" normal? Any other reason this might be happening or is this normal for Christmas week? Perhaps package deals have them tied up?

I can rent from 12/24 - 12/25 for a horrendous rate, but after that, forget it.

Busy time. I used to "start" renting way ahead of time, and keep looking for a better rate meanwhile. You can get burned bad waiting until the end to rent.

Nothing available, or at outrageous prices. They know you need to get a car and gouge accordingly.............

Try some of the smaller ( not national chain ) outfits on the Island. Don't have experience with the Big Island but that route seems to be the best on Maui.

Last edited:
We had the same problem last year air fare tickets and room but no car and started scrambling for a car. Found out that little used car lots also rent their cars I found one in Hilo for cheep.
Try these places:

In Hilo:
Aiona Car Sales talk to Pat Aiona 808-935-9958 if he won't there is a place around the corner from him that will. Also the one below used to rent cars.
Hawaii Cars 808-961-0800

In Kona:
Pre Owned Motors 808-334-1111 Hiromi or John Caudell. Hiromi really hates me but John is cool I just seen them last week at Safeway while on a diving, work trip. If they won't they might know who will rent you a car.

I hope this helps. You can use my name if you want they know me I use to sell products to them until the company went under, be careful Hiromi just might take a swing at you though, ha ha

Randy from Honolulu

just keep adding days until they take your reservation. they dont charge you for the days you dont use. this works anytime there is a block on reservations. there are always cars.

just keep adding days until they take your reservation. they dont charge you for the days you dont use. this works anytime there is a block on reservations. there are always cars.
Not last year in Kona at this time. All the large company's lots were completely empty. Not a car in sight. Not even one for us we had reserved MONTHS in advance. Many people off our flight and others had to wait 3-5 days before getting a car we had "reserved".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom