Pre-Dirf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laser

Reaction score
I have the fundamentals in two weeks. Is there anything I could be practicing? I've been doing no mask stuff, but any thoughts on what I could practice? I may only get in the water a couple times until then. Thanks.

you could practice bouyancy control, horizontal trim, work on buddy awareness for example. And you can do a pre-check on gear configuration, just some ideas.

Practice horizontal trim, precise buoyancy control, and your kicks (frog, modified frog, modified flutter, helicopter, etc.). The more muscle memory you lock in, the easier it will be to concentrate on the other skills.

Fin kicks and skills while neutral are good things to practice. You can also do some things out of the water too (even at home):

Share air drills, shutdowns etc.
Stretching (how far can you reach in your suit)
Setting up your gear
Fin kicks (If there is someone around who knows how to them and can watch you)
Read the book again

I personally brushed up on appearance....I mean you got to look good man.

Anyhow...just do some diving and be comfortable in the water. Bouyancy control and trim are really important to being able to 'nail' the skills they show you in class.

Laser once bubbled...
I have the fundamentals in two weeks. Is there anything I could be practicing? I've been doing no mask stuff, but any thoughts on what I could practice? I may only get in the water a couple times until then. Thanks.
One thing I wished I would have practiced and never did was sitting completely still. Try to hold a position in the water (put your finger on a rock or something) without moving your fins or arms at all.

Laser once bubbled...

In all honesty, while I respectfully appreciate the advise that other's have given you, it's somewhat difficult to answer this type of question without having seen you in the water. The concern being, that if you are doing something incorrectly, continually practising that before the class will make the habit that much harder to change.. Now that being said, just dive as you are and it will all make much more sense when you see yourself on video..

I noticed that you are from Chicago, if you are in the Kankakee class on July 25 - 27th I'll be the instructor so I suggest alot of no mask practice ;-)

Let me know if you have any other questions..

Later

MHK once bubbled...

I noticed that you are from Chicago, if you are in the Kankakee class on July 25 - 27th I'll be the instructor so I suggest alot of no mask practice ;-)

Later

He spent a lotta time with Popeye & Airhog the last time you were at Gilboa. You mebbe wanna drown him. 8)

JohnF

MHK once bubbled...

Yeah, that and some good line-detanglement skills if sonya is coming along....then go ahead and combine the two skills on dive 4.

Back
Top Bottom