• PADI

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • DAN

Votes: 47 90.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zana

Reaction score
What diving insurance is the best and most cost efficient? Trying to make a decsion.

What diving insurance if any do you have and why did you pick that one?

I went with DAN's Master coverage mainly due to the lack of a depth limit. PADI's Platinum plan also has no depth limit. The DAN coverage was a little cheaper but it also has a lifetime rather than per occurence limit.

You can check this link. It has a short artile on dive insurance as well as a comparison chart.

http://scubadiving.com/training/medicine/insurance/

There are two kinds of insurance in my mind. The one for me...and the one for my epuipment. If you dive IMHO it is a must to have DAN's insurance. Should the need ever arise for you to go to a decompression facility it will empty your bank account and probably give you years of payments....high cost!!

DAN also offers....through another company.....equipment insurance at a decent price.

Some think insurance is just a scam and like a lottery. Granted if you never need it ...it is money that could have been used elsewhere... but if you ever do need it....it could save your life.

And, when you consider the cost of diving over all....it is a bargain.

RICHinNC once bubbled...
Some think insurance is just a scam and like a lottery. Granted if you never need it ...it is money that could have been used elsewhere... but if you ever do need it....it could save your life.

I agree and don't make the mistake of thinking your regular health insurance will cover dive related accident expenses. My wife had a dry suit inflator problem a couple years ago that was not ideally handled with the result that she ICBM'd up from 80 feet. We administered 02 but could not get her BP down and she was having some trouble breathing. A trip to the ER (where fortunately there was a physisican trained in diving medicine) was required. Even though the ultimate diagnosis was that she was just very rattled and overly anxious from the experience, the bill was $700 - which is as cheap as it gets.

Our regular health insurance paid less than $200 as the doctor specializing in diving medicine was an out of network provider and we did not get the visit pre-aproved. (Like we had a choice.) The $114 per year that it costs to get us both insured through DAN is in my opinion cheap insurance.

I got bent once about 7 years ago and spent 7 hours in a chamber. DAN paid the bill. I paid -zero-. Buy DAN.

Buy what you are confortable with. I have DAN and would not dive with out it.

A couple of years ago I had a very minor "very slight sprain" sensation in my ankle once. Without insurance I would never have considered going to the hospital about it.

Since I had DAN (even then I waited a day because I felt silly, it being such a minor discomfort and all) I called them (DAN) and they sent me to the hospital and the chamber. Dive profile made it unlikely I was bent, but they said go anyway. Turned out I was bent (The minor sprain like symptoms had gotten worse over time, not better). Total of 3 thris to the chamber and DAN paid it all.

Bought DAN today for me and my husband. Thanks for the input. Stuck with the middle one Master I think it is for now. I'm off to Roatan in 10 days!!!!!

Thanks
Suzanne

Zana

You made a very good choice in insurance, Hopefully you will not have to use it, but it's there just in case..

hope to see a dive report when you get back from your trip to Roatan and take lots of pictures

A couple of other thoughts on the subject.
The preferred plan has a non-diving accident benefit. I have heard that a lot of non-US places will take 3 kinds of payments..cash, charge card or DAN insurance..guess they have had dealings with US insurance companies. So a sprained ankle could cost you a lot out of pocket if you are away from home.
The other thing is that DAN uses the profits to support diving med research and the medical hotline, both are worth supporting on their own. Get DAN, the only insurance company I actually don't mind sending the check to..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom