Head aches from diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bs63366

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been getting head aches after my dives. Doesn't matter what the profile is. Just the other day I had one dive to about 55ft and a second that maxed about 25ft and after I got done I had a head ache. Does any body have any input on what might be causing this. Safety stops were performed. If you need any more information let me know. Thanks for the help.

Kyle

It doesn't seem that tight, just a little snug...

Shallow breathing? Hyperventilating? regulator breathing resistance high? Feeling stressed? Look up hypercapnia, a buildup of carbon dioxide due to less than full breathing out. Some divers have this problem.

Reactions: Jax
If it's a normal headache, I would second the vote of hypercapnia--that's a classic symptom. Try to focus a bit more on breathing in as much as you breathe out, and see how that works.

Now, if it's a migraine, especially with visual disturbances, then you may want to do a more thorough search on here--there are some very knowledgeable people, who have a lot of information on it. Seems like migraines after diving points to bubble shunting....

What are some things that I can do to try to take care of this while I am diving. Thanks for the reply's so far.

Its just a normal headache and no problems with vison, i guess i will try to pay more attention to my breathing and see how I do. Thanks for the help, and if anyone else has any more ideas feel free to voice them.

I used to get this problem, after almost every dive. Another diver recommended that about every 5 breaths I do a really forceful exhale and make sure I clear all the air out of my lungs. Stops shallow breathing and the build up of carbon dioxide.

Anyway, worked for me and the headaches stopped. Eventually over time my breathing improved naturally.

There are a number of possible causes of diving headaches, including things that have been mentioned like mask squeeze and hypoventilation, but also sinus squeeze and neck muscle tension from the unusual horizontal position assumed during diving. Here are two good articles to read on the subject:

DAN Divers Alert Network : Headaches and Diving
Headaches associated with scuba diving

Especially in the second one, you can compare the timing and characteristics of your headaches with the listed causes, and then try some changes to see if you can reduce the frequency or severity of the headache.

Good luck with this -- headaches aren't fun!

Back
Top Bottom