Oceanic White Tip question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jai Bar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
It may be weird, but I have noticed that many Oceanics (like the ones frequently met in Elphinstone) have small holes on the upper side of their bodies- they look like bullet holes.

Any ideas what can it be? Is it possible that someone shoots at them with a rifle while they swim? (fishermen? bored soldiers?).. Just from curiosity :confused:

I don't have my own pictures- but I spent lots and lots of hours very close to observe the holes, so I asked from friends if they've noticed it too.

Here is an example- the shark has 6-7 holes on its upper side:
Oceanic white-tip shark photo - Frank Berger photos at pbase.com

It is difficult to take photos of the holes- they look with very round edges, something like 5-10mm diameter (wasn't close enough to measure with a caliber :wink: ) but to me it looks like buller holes. Could be just my imagination after seeing to many Hollywood movies..

I have seen such holes in 8-10 different sharks, all of them Oceanic White Tips which tend to swim slowly near the surface, making them an easy target for shooting?

Back
Top Bottom