New equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

langperf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys

New to diving
Got some new equipment. Didnt wanna depend on rental stuff.
Tell me what you think, any tips or advice welcome

Tuse Liberator mask (prescription)
Genesis Surf snorkel
Mares 5/4/3 wetsuit
Aeris XR1 wrist computer
Deep Sea 5mm boots
Zeagle Ranger LTD BCD 2009
Zeagle inline octoZ
Mares Mission 3 console
XS Seair Trimetal 1st & 2nd stage
Zeagle pony bottle (6cu ft ) with regs filler and mounts for LTD
Don't worry I stay glued to my buddy. This is just a backup for the backup

Without knowing where you are and the conditions you'll be diving in it's hard to comment on the suitability of your gear. For example your regulator is a piston first stage & the manufacturer doesn't mention that it's environmentally sealed. If you're diving in warmer water it's probably fine for your needs, if you're in colder water not so much.

You'll also find strong opinions regarding the combining of your BCD inflator & octo (both for but mostly against). With one of these in an OOA situation you'll be donating your primary & trying to breath the octo while ascending - makes it a little awkward to vent air from your BCD on the way up. It wouldn't cost much to add a conventional octo to your setup.

Is your computer the air only version of the XR1? I had one when I first started diving - a perfectly good (and affordable) computer but you'll be replacing it if you decide to dive Nitrox.

I like Zeagle BCDs, I have a Stiletto but I have also made the jump to a BP/W setup for local diving (will travel with my Stiletto)

A 6 cf pony is a bit on the small side but is better than nothing in an emergency, agains it's usefulness is directly related to what type of diving you'll be doing - if you're going deep you'll want to sling something bigger.

If your mask fits you properly then it's the right mask.

The bottom line is whether or not the gear suits your needs. Don't worry though, you'll be in good company (including me) if you find yourself replacing some of your gear in the not too distant future.

I dont plan on being in anything colder than 50deg and that would be extreme. Reg not enviro sealed. Yeah have read the threads on the inline octos....agreed

We still don't know where you live, what type of diving you'll be doing, etc.

I think the first question for you is why did you select this gear? What was your purpose in selecting this BC over another model? Why that particular regulator? What is your budget?

There are numerous threads on the board regarding excellent setups in various price ranges. If we know more about your diving, your budget and your style preferences we may be able to better assist you.

In all fairness, you could have gone to a car forum and asked people what they thought about your new Dodge Caliber or your new Mini Van and everyone is going to have their opinion, some will say you should have bought a SUV or a Truck. If you are single and want a cheap, gas efficient car to commute to work you won't be shopping for a Hybrid SUV. Get what I mean?

Once we get to know more about you we can better assist you.

"With one of these in an OOA situation you'll be donating your primary & trying to breath the octo while ascending - makes it a little awkward to vent air from your BCD on the way up."

Your BCD doesn't have any dump valves??

Don't worry about what you have bought, I have been through a lot of evolutions of kit. Still a work in progress, just dive it and get comfortable and familiar with it. I don't like integrated octo/inflators and would all ways go for a traditional octo set up. I started diving in 1998, the only bits of kit I still use that I bought then are my Posidon Cyclone Regs and my Buddy BCD, All though the BCD is about to be replaced by an Apex BP and wing set up.

"With one of these in an OOA situation you'll be donating your primary & trying to breath the octo while ascending - makes it a little awkward to vent air from your BCD on the way up."

Your BCD doesn't have any dump valves??

Perhaps I should have expanded on the "awkward", dump valves would be the obvious option (the Ranger LTD has on on the right shoulder) but has the OP been trained and/or practiced using this method?

If he's fresh out of PADI's OW he's probably only been shown to ascend holding the BCD inflator hose with his left and hold his buddy's BCD with his right hand during an OOA drill.

Maybe its just me, I dive w/ a nighthawk, the dump valve is in the same place as the zeagle. Doing OOA drills have never been any problem using the air2...

CaboJim -Yes the Ranger has the right hand upper dump valve on the shoulder strap and the 2 lower dump valves cord actuated at the lower left and right hand side of the bladder.

Still gotta get in the pool and do an equipment check and familiarization. I'm still diving with instructors also...so no worries...hopefully :)

Splash-X -yeah I know... that was kind of a general question

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom