Old YMCA Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jahhaas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
About 1970 I was certified at the YMCA in Spokane, Washington. For a few years, while living in Seattle, I dove in Puget Sound. During the past 25 years I have been raising a family and haven't had a chance to dive. Last week I was in Cuzumel on vacation and took the hotel's beginner class and then dove three times. My wife also took the class and now isn't quiet as nervous about having me dive so I want to make sure that I can dive whenever we vacation in warm water places. I can't seem to find my old YMCA card which the local dive shop tells me is still valid. I may decide to do the basic certification course and get a new certification but can save some money if I can get a replacement card and concentrate on taking refresher classes instead of starting over. Can anyone tell me if I can get a replacement and/ if so/ how I would go about doing that? Thanks for your help. Joe

Contact YMCA scuba at

YMCA Scuba
101 North Wacker dr
Chicago, IL 60606

Or by phone at (800) 872-9622

HTH

You might also try dropping a PM to Walter (another of the moderators) as he is a YMCA Instructor and will know how to help.

I was certified by YMCA in 1983 and dove for a few years, then got out of it until six months ago....They found my cert and had a card to me in a short time.

--Sean

Definetly follow reeferbens advice. When you call YMCA of the USA you can ask for either the National Aquatic Director or the certifications office. The operator will direct your call. They will send you a new card upon confirming certification

I was also certified at the Y about the same time as you. I decided to start diving again a couple of years ago after a 25 year layoff, and got re-certified (PADI).
Even though I could dive with my old C-card, a whole lot has changed in the sport that I would not have been aware of, or trained in, if I had not gone back to class. I guess you could call it the "Rip Van Winkle" effect.:wazzup:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom